How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How to change the color of your gauge LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to change the color of your gauge LEDs

tevbax, sorry it didnt work out for ya, but you probably just saved a lot of people from pullin out the speedo's on their f4i's
________
Honda Prelude history

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Retired Administrator

axsys, did I over look it... what bike did he do this mod on?

Never mind... I went back and looked.... it's a 2005/2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R

Old 01-25-2006, 10:57 PM

yea i know its not a honda but i figured that you might be able to do it on any bike
________
Nexium class action

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Retired Administrator

I'm good... I've been practicing on a CD-ROM drive. I removed the LED and the eject button from the front. Put them both back on and they work fine...

I'm still trying to research the LEDs. I'd like to make sure I have the right ones here when I pull it so I don't have to do it all over again. Then I have to take it apart to see if I run into the same problem as tevbax. I'm not going to remove the LCD screen if it's soldered on. Too much risk.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: doncollins

I'm good... I've been practicing on a CD-ROM drive. I removed the LED and the eject button from the front. Put them both back on and they work fine...

I'm still trying to research the LEDs. I'd like to make sure I have the right ones here when I pull it so I don't have to do it all over again. Then I have to take it apart to see if I run into the same problem as tevbax. I'm not going to remove the LCD screen if it's soldered on. Too much risk.
good ot hear your cdrom still works. the LEDs look like standard surface mounts, and the link in that tutorial looks like it has some good ones to buy. if in the end you decide its too risky to do yourself, www.bluegauges.com looks pretty good and its not too expensive to get it done ($65 for the 600RR). or you could find a really cheap speedo on ebay and try it on that, just let us know how it goes!
________
SIDE EFFECTS OF NEXIUM

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Retired Administrator

I will. My problem is I'm a do-it-myself kind of guy. If I can do it for $80 or buy it for $75... that's not enough savings for me to let someone else have all of my fun. The LEDs for the article might work, but he is doing all of this on a Kaw so I'm sure something is different. I need to get off my butt and remove my speedo so I can take a look at the LEDs inside. I found one speedo on eBay for buy it now $250 so that's not an option right now.

What ever I do... I'll let you know.

Old 01-27-2006, 01:35 AM

there another writeup on the bluegauges.com websire, found here, that shows how to do it for a gixxer. it looks like for a lot of the bikes you have to de-solder the lcd, which wouldn't be too hard with a desoldering wick or a desoldering station. but this project isnt for the first time solderer, so if you don't have experiance with those tools, you might not want to do it, or you can practice and then try on your gauge.
________
Cat wheel

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:09 AM

I'm like Don, I like to do everything myself, but when its something like gauges and I could, or probably would mess it up pretty bad. I'll send it to someone and have them do it, that way if they mess it up they have to replace it and I could be pissed off at someone besides myself.

I like what bluegauges has, I think I might send mine out next winter and get it done. I'm thinking a silver or red tach face plate with a white background until the redline. But I'm not sure what color for the speedo, I don't want blue since my bike is red, and I think I might get sick of red if I did it in that color. If anyone has had bluegauges do their gauges let us know how i turned out.

-Jesse-

Old 01-31-2006, 05:16 AM

I'm taking apart my 95' CBR600 F3i to part out whatever good parts I can.. well seeing how the glass on the gauges are broken, guess i can practice soldering on it(guess i cant.. no LED's, well there is one or two i think).. I'm hoping to get a 04' or 05' 600RR next and mod it up a bit, looks like one more mod to add to my list..

also, you think there is a way to change up the LED's system? http://www.eled.com/product.asp?cata...=EAA3528EMBSGC - these are the same size but red/blue/green instead of one color.. wonder if someone knows how to put in a system like that.. =)

Old 02-08-2006, 03:05 PM

How about on a non digital guage set. reallllly want to do that on my 900. Ive changed the colors on my xbox to a super bright blue and would like to do that to my guages.

Quick Reply: How to change the color of your gauge LEDs