How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

HID Installation (for older style HID kits)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HID INSTALLATION (extremely detailed)

Just hooked up my HIDs,[sm=yikesomg.gif]what a difference. Got the 8000K and they are badass. I have the newer generation ones so thereisn't aseparate igniter, just a ballast and bulb. Still have to figure out where I'm gonna mount my ballasts, don't have any trunk space due to my PCIII and my alarm back there. Once I get my bike put back together (it's still in pieces due to all my winter projects) I'll put up a new post with some pics.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:48 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dragonium25

Just hooked up my HIDs,[sm=yikesomg.gif] what a difference. Got the 8000K and they are badass. I have the newer generation ones so there isn't a separate igniter, just a ballast and bulb. Still have to figure out where I'm gonna mount my ballasts, don't have any trunk space due to my PCIII and my alarm back there. Once I get my bike put back together (it's still in pieces due to all my winter projects) I'll put up a new post with some pics.
DEFINATELY post pictures of that when you get done. FYI....you "might" be able to mount the ballasts (if they're small enough) under the intake covers....(same place I mounted my igniters).

Reason........The wire that goes from the ballast to the bulb are high-voltage silicone wires. I don't have ANY experience with these wires other than just about every automotive electrician said to NEVER cut those wires. They told me that if I needed to extend them, I would have to have an extention harness made made or find extention wires with the proper connections on them. (That's the reason my extended harness I made only used the good ol' fashioned "primary" wire found in cars.) That's also the reason I HAD to mount my igniters up front. (lot of reasons if you haven't noticed yet.....)

Good luck man, get those pics up soon, I want to see!

Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 AM

Yeah I wasn't planning on cutting any wires at all. I was thinking of putting them just behind the fairings, but not sure if they'll fit or how they'll stay on. Gonna have to tinker a bit. Here's some pics though...

(no camera flash)
[IMG]local://upfiles/6446/3E4832797AA94559B8DCD6A8C1E09997.jpg[/IMG]

(with camera flash)

[IMG]local://upfiles/6446/58FC4DF9A7124FA8800A8E5E74DD5589.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-02-2007, 04:02 AM
Retired Moderator

Ohhhh, pretty. Love em'. Did you have any probems with the H7's not fitting (needing to trim the base of the headlight?). If it's a newer model, I doubt it, but my generic kit required me to.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:21 AM

No problems, they fit flush right in. The only thing I had to change was that I had to pull the +ve and -ve connecting wires out of the rubber gasket which held the bulbs. Here's what it looks like without the ballasts connected:

So if I wanted to remove my HIDs and put my other bulbs in, say for a track day, I can just swap them out in like 2 mins.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6446/5E529B36315349328BBD22E60675DE6A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-02-2007, 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: dragonium25

No problems, they fit flush right in. The only thing I had to change was that I had to pull the +ve and -ve connecting wires out of the rubber gasket which held the bulbs. Here's what it looks like without the ballasts connected:

So if I wanted to remove my HIDs and put my other bulbs in, say for a track day, I can just swap them out in like 2 mins.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6446/5E529B36315349328BBD22E60675DE6A.jpg[/IMG]
Drooling over your HID setup.

Where did you order your hid set from? I had ordered my set from BlueFox's recommended ebay seller. Do you have pictures the ballast? And lastly, if you can take some detailed pictures of the low beam pattern from the rider's position or the sideways position of the hid lighting coverage?

Thanks,
Soonster

Old 03-02-2007, 12:47 PM

Thats schweet man!!!!!! Can you not mount the ballast in the battery box area?? I might have to get me some of deez

Old 03-02-2007, 02:55 PM

I got mine off ebay as well, got them for $112 shipped [sm=yeahsmile.gif]. If you look at Blue's pics, the ballast are exactly the same shape/size, so no chance of them going in the battery tray or anywhere in the back. The only difference between ourkits is I don't have the extra igniter piece so there's less bulky wiring. That's the only downside of HIDs for bikes, the ballasts are big and bulky. I'll have to mount them behind my fairings or somewhere up front. Sorry, I won't be able to get any good pics of the beampattern until the snow thaws ([sm=headbang.gif] stupid winter)since my bike's sitting in my living room right now. Once spring comes though I can take her out and get some good shots of all my winter make-over.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Retired Moderator

On the right side, there is MORE than enough room to mount the ballasts where that tool box thingy goes. I was even thinking about cutting that tool box up and using it to mount both the ballasts onto. But, I didn't find that out until after I already made the extended harnesses and ran the wiring. There was NO WAY I was going to throw all that work fabricating those harnesses just to relocate the ballasts. It was more than enough work just to move the igniters.

Let us know what you do.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:24 AM

I alreadythought aboutremoving my tool box and mounting the ballast there, but that would only be for the right side. The wires won't reachto the left headlight.

Quick Reply: HID Installation (for older style HID kits)