How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

HID Installation (for older style HID kits)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HID INSTALLATION (extremely detailed)

ORIGINAL: Klassh

I agree about the fuel line hose. I wonder if electrical shrink tubbing would work for the smaller lines. (Even though most of us are getting pretty proficient with the gift from the gods that is electrical tape)

Where is our update :-(
Funny you ask about the update.......because I just updated. Check it out, made a HUGE difference in the amount of "mess" the old setup made.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much did you get those hid kit for?
And what k are they 10000?

Old 02-23-2007, 02:59 AM

ORIGINAL: jasonb

how much did you get those hid kit for?
And what k are they 10000?
How 'bout reading the first 3 paragraphs of the post...

Old 02-25-2007, 03:44 AM

Personally, I think HID's are HID's no matter what brand... as long as they work and look good. However, different brands have different colors at the certain color temperature (like how clothes are... buying a medium ecko shirt is like an extra large in others).

My friend and I have a pretty well known brand (McCulloch) at 6000K, pretty white with a hint of blue. My other friend has a generic brand for a lot cheaper at 6000K and it looks very very deep blue. In my opinion, both look good, but I'm the shallow type of guy to go more expensive for the brand name. LoL.

So for those who wonder about Ebay generid HID's, go for it... just make sure the seller is trustable.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:18 PM

Hey BlueFox, great write up. I'm planning on upgrading my 2003 CBR 600RR headlights to hid. Wonder if you can provide some additional info regarding the low beam pattern (if possible, some night shots of the low vs high beam from the rider's position). Any info is greatly appreciated. Since I ride mostly in the city, dont really want the light pattern to scatter to high.

Thanks,
Soonster

[/align]

Old 02-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: soonster

Hey BlueFox, great write up. I'm planning on upgrading my 2003 CBR 600RR headlights to hid. Wonder if you can provide some additional info regarding the low beam pattern (if possible, some night shots of the low vs high beam from the rider's position). Any info is greatly appreciated. Since I ride mostly in the city, dont really want the light pattern to scatter to high.

Thanks,
Soonster

[/align]
Honestly, the light pattern is EXACTLY as it is with the regular H7 bulbs. HID lights don't affect the light pattern, just the color and the amount of light output. The HID's will look exactly the same, but they'll be whiter (LED like white) and much brighter.

If you're worried about the high-beam being too bright, you can lower it (which I did). But, the high beam light pattern is diffferent compared to the low beam though. The high beam scatters light higher and further away (so you'll usually find yourself turning your high-beams off when following a car). The low beam makes a nice, horizonal beam of light.

During the daytime, I ride with both lights on. At night though, lately I've been just riding with the low beam on. The HID's are so much brighter anyway, the single light still produces more light than both the old high/low beams together.

So my suggestion to all that are thinking about (or already have) an HID system.......Ride with the low beam at night. I found that if you adjust it so the low beam is aimed just a smidge higher than stock, you won't ever really "need" your high beam unless you are on the highway at night, or on back roads (even then, the low beam works brilliantly). Plus, you won't be beaming light directly into the back of people's heads in their cars. (which I notice still happens even if the high beam is lowered).

Another suggestion is this.......HID bulbs use a color temperature color chart to give you an idea of what color the light output is. THIS IS NOT TRUE FOR BRIGHTNESS!!!!!! People often think 10000k HID's are brighter than the 6000 or 8000K HID's. NOT TRUE. My 10000k have slightly less light output or "brightness" than the 6000 or 8000k HID's, but appear as a deeper blue from far away (with a bright LED-like white on the road). If I had a "do-over", I would probably go with the 6000 or 8000k HID's.

I'll also get some night shots up as soon as nighttime comes.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:24 AM

Ok I have athree part post.....

First I have a question. How would this work with the "Angel, Demon, Halo" eyes? Well I guess I dont fully understand how those kits work totally either. But just curious.

Secondly has anyone had space issues with fitting the kit with an undertail kit that already has a PC back there. The module looked pretty big.

And finally, I have a small piece of advice for you guys. I have been an avionics tech for roughly 8 years and we just had and issue our blackhawks that had wire bundlerouted through a tube loom. There was obviously vibration caused during flight,which inturn caused the loose wires in the loom to chaff, and even smoke a few wire harnesses. So my advice to you is to spend the extra cash and buy some heat shrink for your wires, beforeyou send the through thefuel line.It will stiffen the wire a lil bit to reduce the vibration chaffing, plus it acts asanother layer of chaff protection.

PS. Blue Fox- I just wanted to curse you, because now I have to add anotheritem to my wish list. Greatwrite up and thanks forall the diagrams and pics

Justin

Old 02-27-2007, 03:44 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: SinfulSOB

Ok I have a three part post.....

First I have a question. How would this work with the "Angel, Demon, Halo" eyes? Well I guess I dont fully understand how those kits work totally either. But just curious.

Secondly has anyone had space issues with fitting the kit with an undertail kit that already has a PC back there. The module looked pretty big.

And finally, I have a small piece of advice for you guys. I have been an avionics tech for roughly 8 years and we just had and issue our blackhawks that had wire bundle routed through a tube loom. There was obviously vibration caused during flight, which inturn caused the loose wires in the loom to chaff, and even smoke a few wire harnesses. So my advice to you is to spend the extra cash and buy some heat shrink for your wires, before you send the through the fuel line. It will stiffen the wire a lil bit to reduce the vibration chaffing, plus it acts as another layer of chaff protection.

PS. Blue Fox- I just wanted to curse you, because now I have to add another item to my wish list. Great write up and thanks for all the diagrams and pics

Justin
First, an HID bulb is just that.....a bulb. It produces more light with a whiter color. The point of the ballast and igniter is to transform the normal electrical current to be compatible with the electrical current required by the HID bulb.

Second, the ballasts are pretty big. I wouldn't be able to fit a power commander under my rear seat even if I wanted to. The ballasts take up a lot of space. But, the newer HID kits offer a smaller ballast with built-in igniters, so if it's space you want, you'll have to pony up some $$$.

Third, wire loom is perfectly fine to use. The factory harnesses are in wire loom from Honda, and my Dodge has it's harnesses in wire loom from the factory as well, so it's fine to use. They're will not be any problems using it on our bikes. (and I KNOW our bikes don't vibrate as much as a helicopter.)

Old 02-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Retired Moderator

UPDATE:

Just posted another update (probably the last) showing how I cleaned up the wirey mess under my rear seat. Soldered, loomed and tucked neatly and professionally. I'm now proud of this HID installation.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Thanks BlueFox for the follow up. I'll find some time to have it done this coming month. Hopefully it'll be as easy as you had described.

Quick Reply: HID Installation (for older style HID kits)