CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   How-To: Mechanical (https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/)
-   -   F3 to ZX9 tail swap comming soon!! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/f3-zx9-tail-swap-comming-soon-98321/)

STREETFIGHTER88 08-02-2009 02:42 PM

F3 to ZX9 tail swap comming soon!!

Mates just stacked his zx9 smashing the front up and has dessided to change all the fairings so is donating his tail to me, was just wondering if anyone else done a zx9 swap before? If so anyone got pics and tips, if not ill "TRY" to create a guide of the simpliest methode i can come up with lol, the idea is to creat a sort of subframe that can "clip onto" the original subframe rather than cutting and welding the original.

jacked600 08-09-2009 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER88 (Post 818451)
Mates just stacked his zx9 smashing the front up and has dessided to change all the fairings so is donating his tail to me, was just wondering if anyone else done a zx9 swap before? If so anyone got pics and tips, if not ill "TRY" to create a guide of the simpliest methode i can come up with lol, the idea is to creat a sort of subframe that can "clip onto" the original subframe rather than cutting and welding the original.

THis is something I;m going to keep my eye on ... I love the perfomrance of my f3 .. just the single head light shows that it;s a little older... I'd love the upgraded look of newer style fairings...

-Lee

johnnyx 08-10-2009 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER88 (Post 818451)
the idea is to creat a sort of subframe that can "clip onto" the original subframe rather than cutting and welding the original.

That's not going to work. By design, you're going to end up about an inch higher, and fairings won't mate properly in the middle (which is ALREADY going to be enough of a concern). Your absolute best course of action is to just cut some metal tabs, drill your mounting holes in them, and weld them to your existing frame.

STREETFIGHTER88 08-10-2009 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx (Post 821603)
That's not going to work. By design, you're going to end up about an inch higher, and fairings won't mate properly in the middle (which is ALREADY going to be enough of a concern). Your absolute best course of action is to just cut some metal tabs, drill your mounting holes in them, and weld them to your existing frame.

No no i dont think you understood what i ment the frame will only be a small section that will support the rear seat so it can take weight as it wont sit exactly on the cbr frame, exactly like it does if you buy the tygra fairings for a VFR 400 you have to buy a small section of frame for under the rear seat sepretly if you want it to be able to support a passanger and the same as my mate did when he put a R6 tail on his GSXR 400, im not planning on buildng a entire subframe to sit ontop of the old one lol

gabe_says 01-21-2010 11:03 PM

well anything is possible with some fiberglass working lol cant wait to see this mod

Will.Bass 04-16-2011 12:25 PM

any updates?

STREETFIGHTER88 04-17-2011 03:29 PM

Na i put a R1 tail on the bike in the end mate.

jpanside@gmail.com 04-17-2011 05:02 PM

can we see some pics? or is that it?