How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

F3 Front brake light switch repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F3 Front brake light switch repair

Ok. So i dont know how often these "switches" go bad. but when i got my bike, the front brake switch did not work. i started doing some searches on here and everyone was saying just to get a new one.
so i went outside and found the switch, did some testing to make sure it was the switch, (which it was) and thought, "there really is not reason to replace this, all it is doing is completing a circuit....) so here goes, its SUPER simple. like i said, i dont know if there is a demand for this. but im sure SOMEONE would like to save a few bucks on getting a new/used one when spending money is not necessary....

sorry for the crappy pics...
tools needed: thin flathead screwdriver
phillips head screwdriver
sandpaper
soldering iron

ok so after you take the brake light switch off of the right handle, (one screw, 2 wires.) your going to need your thin flathead screwdriver there are 3 spots that the switch is connecting the "front" to the "back". stick your screwdriver in between the 2 pieces near these connecting points, to break them apart.

Name:  switch2.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  46.9 KB

once open and apart it will look like this...

Name:  IMG00589.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  46.9 KB

now you need to pull the pieces out of the plastic. there is the small black plastic piece that touches the brake lever (dont lose it!) then the top metal parts, and the bottom metal parts.when the brake is off, these 2 metal pieces are not touching each other, causing a separating in the circuit, so there is no brake light. once you pull the brake, the tension is released from the small black plastic piece, allowing the top metal piece to come in contact with the lower metal piece, completing the circuit, lighting the tail light....

Name:  IMG00590.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  51.1 KB

now we are gonna do some sanding. pay attention to the 2 "circles" on the upper and lower metal pieces that make contact with each other. that's what needs sanding

Name:  switch3.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  34.4 KB

after making the contact points look nice and clean, i thought it was also a good time to easily sand the parts that the wires slide onto. now just put the parts back in the plastic. i started with the lower, then upper, and finally the little black plastic piece (dont forget that!)

once the parts are back in, try putting the cover back on. if you cant get it all the way together, you may need to sand one or more of the "posts" that we broke in the beginning. once you get the 2 completely together, go ahead and heat up you soldering iron. when its ready while holding the 2 plastic sides together firmly, melt the plastic in the holes back together...

Name:  IMG00592.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  91.6 KB

there you have it. you should now have a functioning front brake light switch! hope this helped, it only took about 5 minutes to do, not including the soldering iron's heat up time.

good luck!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank god I found this. I've been ****ing with the wiring for hours. I bet this will work.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:21 PM

lol. did it work for you? hopefully it helped tho the pictures are god aweful..

Old 02-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Will.Bass
lol. did it work for you? hopefully it helped tho the pictures are god aweful..
It totally did I'm so happy. You know that feeling when you do something really simple to make an annoying problem go away.... yeah thats it.

THANKS!!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 01:49 AM

Sweet, I appreciate every random little f3 write up like this.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 AM

Awesome man. glad its fixed up for you!!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:07 PM

Cheers buddy, I have been googling this for bloody days. I'll try this when I get home

Old 01-15-2012, 03:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool write-up!!! you dont know how many people your going to help with this!!!!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM

thanks alot! i just wish, that at the time i had a better means of taking pictures..looking back on these makes my skin cringe from their horribleness..lol

Old 04-01-2012, 12:00 PM

The switch on an F4 is exactly the same. Thanks! You just saved me a few bucks, and some downtime until I could make it to the dealership!

Quick Reply: F3 Front brake light switch repair