How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

DIY scratch/scuff repair.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY scratch/scuff repair.

Bluej, did you mean to post a link? I went to autogeek.net and saw a few products that might work.Meguiar's Plastx Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish? I found it under Motorcycle care products.

Also, regarding the touch-up I went to Color-Rite's website and was about to order the paint I need (Pear Sun-beam White). However, it said it requires a base coat touch-up as well? And then it suggested clear-coat touch up. Can you tell me if the base and clear-coat touch ups are necessary? I would think a good polish would suffice instead of clear-coat touch up.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 AM

You dont need a base or clear just make sure its clean enough so the paint will stick. The scratch wont have a clear on it but its ok cuz its a small area. Your not repainting the whole fairing. You can put clear if youd like its exactly the same step just make sure you wait 24hrs for the paint to try. A good polish and wax will protect it enough.

You dont need motorcycle products the car products will work just fine.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 AM

So should I apply the white, wait 24 hours, apply the clear, wait 24 hours and then wet-sand and follow the process from there? Thanks for helping out with this bluej.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 AM

Yea you can do that. Wet sanding will make everything uniform and even. Paint until its a bit lower then the surrounding area then clear it till its even or a bit more. Don't forget dont just do one blob but wait a couple mins for it to drythen another coat and another then do 2-3 coats of clear. Now if the OEM fairing has no clear dont bother but im pretty sure it does.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Yep, deff has clear coat on it...the only plastic fairing/cowl w/o clear coat is the black "shark tail" looking fairing in between my upper and lower side fairings.

Well, I'm going to order the touch up tomorrow. I have to try this. I don't have much to lose especially when considering new plastics would cost me$500+

Thanks again Bluej...I'll post some before/after pics in the coming week or two when this mini-project is done.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:50 PM

Blue,

What is your opinion on trying to take out scratches on a clear plastic headlight? I've got some scuff marks as well as a tiny piece of tar on one headlight that I would like to try and take out. I am not sure if the same idea would apply to clear plastic as it would to the clearcoat on paint...

Old 04-04-2008, 03:27 PM

You can wet sand a headlight as well but id try to find a plastic polish before id try it. I know you can buff a headlight with polish to clean it up a bit. Claybar it first make sure you use plenty or soapy water or spray wax to lube it up that will get rid of contaminants including tar then try to buff it with a polish or plastic polish. If its still crappy you can wet sand. Try it on a small area first.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 PM

Hey Blue,

Funny that you mention that, I just remembered that I had a plastic polishing "kit" for model cars from awhile back when I used to be into that thing. I've attached a picture of what the kit comes with, along with some fairly detailed instructions. Is it absolutely necessary I claybar the headlight before attempting to apply polish? I don't have one and they are quite expensive. I've also attached a picture of the scratch(s) on the headlight - let me konw if you think would be the best action based on the scratches.

Lastly you may be able to see the little spec of tar to the left of the scratch - ive tried picking at it with my nail and a credit card - it is on there REAL good and I am scared to take a razor to it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25236/EB87A678B6664166896840C8DC58D984.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25236/A1CE718A9A014526A675D1E1DE95DB66.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25236/BA8E6F2F1C714B74A5CE8509975BD36F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-09-2008, 08:46 PM

Well you can try to polish but the tar wont come off, a lay bar will remove it. its 20$ at any parts store.

Id say use the 2400grit then polish with the plastic polish. I should have people send me parts so i can fix em hahaha.

Those marks should come out after wet sanding then your gonna have a white film over the headlight and thats where the plastic polish comes in handy. Even a car polish will work but id try it in a small area. Car polishes tend to remove instead of hiding swirls.

Woody hows yours coming along?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:51 PM

Nice DIY post, well worth looking at
[sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: DIY scratch/scuff repair.