How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Convert 2 wire signals to 3 Wire Inputs

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert 2 wire signals to 3 Wire Inputs

Ok, quick and simple. So you bought your hotbodies signals for the front. PROBLEM, well not really a problem, just a disliking. You no longer have running lights up front. You CAN just tie the wires togeather, but then your lights on the dash for signals will be lit up ALWAYS. So heres a simple fix. This should work with all bikes, but make sure your running lights in the stock signals turn off when the blinker turns on. otherwise this wont work without more circuitry that i can design if the need be.

What you will need:
Stock signals + Wires + Plugs
New 2 wire signals
Shrink Wrap
solder +soldering Iron
4 Diodes(1N4001-1N4007)
wire cutters/strippers

Hokay off we go.
Cut your stock signals so you have about 5 inches to the plugs end. Strip the outer layer off and strip the two same colored wires(either orange or blue on an f4i) Cut the diodes shorter as well. cut some shrink wrap short enough to cover the diode and one end of soldering. Solder the diodes to the PLUG END wires like so. *****NOTE THE POSITION OF THE SILVER STRIPE!! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT OTHERWISE YOUR SIGNALS WONT WORK AT ALL!!!*****

ok so now you should have this:

okok..now see those loose ends of the diode? Tie them togeather. Get the red wire from the signals ready. Strip the insulation covering both the wire back a little, cut the red wire about 2 inches shorter than the black wire is. Get some Bigger shrink wrap and cut enough to fit over the entire exposed part. Slide it on the wire before you solder. Now solder the red wire to the two diode ends tied togeather. Slide the previous shrink wrap up and shrink it.
You should have this nowignore the green wire and black wire til the next step...)

now...Take the black wire and the green wire and cut the black wire just long enough where you have enough to solder the wires together. The soldering point should be over the shrink wrap of the previous orange or blue wire solders so you dont need shrink wrap over this point if you dont want to. I didnt. Now solder these wire together and make sure they arent near the exposed red orange or blue wires or exposed diode parts.

Like so****ty solder job i know...)

Then simply slide the big shrink wrap over everything and shrink it. and your DONE!
woohoo now you have successfully converted 2 wire signals to 3 wire signals.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Convert 2 wire signals to 3 Wire Inputs

Nice write-up Red. I've been searching for flushmount signals/running lights with no luck. Just a couple of questions: where did you buy the diodes and how do the signals function after this mod? Do they blink by going on & off (light on/light off), ordo they blink by going fromdim to bright (always on)?

Old 01-03-2009, 03:43 PM

diodes are from radio shack. They blink on off not dimming and bright.

Just today too i bought a variable load flasher relay so they blink at a slower rate because the fast rate was too fast for my integrated tail with regular bulbs(no LED) so they only light up bright for about 1/16 of a second..thats not long enough.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:44 PM

they look really nice too..much brighter than they appear in the photo

Old 01-03-2009, 03:46 PM

Old 01-13-2009, 05:20 AM

Very nice writeup rez

Old 01-23-2009, 11:45 PM

I just did this converstion and your thread helped out a huge amount. thank you

Old 01-30-2009, 07:40 AM

I finally pulled my front blinkers off and followed your how to and it works great. I love not having the indicators anymore. That was so aggravating.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:10 PM

Just finished. Very helpfull and worked first time, thats awlays a plus! Great write up.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:23 PM

np guys, glad i could help!

Quick Reply: Convert 2 wire signals to 3 Wire Inputs