How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

2004 cadillac XLR Projector HID's onto an 05 1000RR

Old 09-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks just like the r1's thats pretty dope dude.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

Like the write up. +1 on the work. I would love to make my f4i in to project hid.How did you decide on what projecters to use? Was it by the stock fitment or did you just research a pair and when with it?

Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the compliment.

I did a little research to see which ones would fit. The headlight lenses on my bike are very thin, so I had to go with the smallest diameter projectors I could find which happen to the be the 2.5 inch ones. There really wasnt room for even these, thats why I had to modifiy the shell so much. Even with the shell modified, a small portion of the projector was blocked and some of the light output was blocked, but even one of these, even though slightly blocked, was brighter than both of my stock ones. On your bike, you probably have a lot more options and there are a ton of 3 inch bi-xenon projectors out there, and you probably won't have to modifiy the shell nearly as much. plus your lenses are large enough that you can mount the projector just about anywhere and probably won't have to worry about having them lay straight across in your housing. Mine were tilted in on a angle slightly so I had to modifiy the internal flapper for the highbeam to keep the cut straight across.

Also, with this type of projector, it uses the igniter on the back of the bulb, so the ballast can be mounted anywhere as you can extend the wire from the ballast to the igniter, there arent any high voltage wires like most HID's. This worked out good for me as I really don't have anywhere to mount the ballast other than the tail section on my bike. I did have to buy some special shielded wire to extend the wires from the ballast to the bulb.

Another benifit to these projectors was that the high beam selonoid was a direct wire up. A lot of the Bi-Xenon Projectors out there require a special inline resistor otherwise the selonoid burns up. But, any projector that uses the DS1 bulb has the same set up. The only downfall is the overall is longer with the igniter on the bulb. so you will have measure your housing to see what will work.

Another benifit is the HID bulb is completely enclosed. I see many projectors out there and the bulb is hanging out and the case is open in the middle. I'm not sure if matters, but my headlights dont even get remotely as warm as they use to. I think its due to the enclosed design. Also, I have the lenses of the projector only about an 1/4 inch away from the lenses of the headlight... I have had no issues with the headlight lens getting warm.

In the end, after an entire summer with the mod, I love riding at night, I don't get flashed by oncoming cars thanks to the projectors cut off, I can see so far off to each side of the road its unbelievable ( at least 50 ft to each side), I can see so far down the road too. Even when riding in groups, normally at night we ride side by side and slow down so our headlights double up and we can watch for deer. Now, I can't tell if another bike is next to me or not. It makes no difference at all wether or not another bike is there. So I am very pleased with the outcome.

If you just want dual hi and low beam projectors, but don't care if they are HID. I would start looking for an 09 R1 headlight and use that. If later on you want HID's, just buy a kit. I think the R1 uses H-7 bulbs. It would probably be easier to modify one of those headlights to your bike versus what I did. I think those are 3 inch diameter.

Last edited by justasquid; 09-20-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Thanks for the suggestion. Now that I think about it, it would probably look pretty good. Now I have to decide if I want to split my headlights again...lol. maybe next winter..
ehh angel eyes around HID's is a very difficult task to do - they will be drown'd out by the light when you turn on the bike, but you can have a delay relay for the halo/angel eyes to turn off 30 seconds after the bike.
(http://tripageled.com/PAGES/1000rr.htm#HIDdelayrelay) this is for start-up, but believe you can do it for shut down as well.. Just a few suggestions my friend (i got my own little projects brewing this winter)

Originally Posted by justasquid
thanks for the positve feedback.

It was all worth it in the end. We have a few rides that are coming up that will surely have late night riding. Before, I always wanted to get home before dark as I hated it so much. Now, I dont care when I get home.
well if your riding with a group at night - make sure you infront of the pack, i got b**** for having HID's and being in the back. (we were going to the Hoover Dam) but yeah, i would rather have more light than no light =P

Old 09-27-2009, 05:33 AM

ehh angel eyes around HID's is a very difficult task to do
yeah, the more I looked at it, I decided not too.

well if your riding with a group at night - make sure you infront of the pack, i got b**** for having HID's and being in the back. (we were going to the Hoover Dam) but yeah, i would rather have more light than no light =P
I know what you mean. I've seen so many HID kits put into headlights that werent designed for them, and they just shine light everywhere and blind anyone around.

But that was whole reason I put in projectors. the cut-off prevents people from being blinded by it. they are actually dimmer to look at on low beam than any of my friends bikes on low beam. High beam in another story though.. they are incredible bright to look at. I know it sounds odd, but I have much more visibility with less harshness to other drivers while the headlights are low, and my cut off is the same level as everyone elses. I think with such a sharp cut off, no light goes above it like it does with reflector type headlights. It does take some getting use to though. Pitch black above the cut off.

There are a bunch of aftermarket bi-xenon projector kits out now. Some look really good. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with one those.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:32 AM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

Are you talking about the kind that you have to pull your headlight out to mount on the interior and then reseal the light. I was looking at that but it would just look funny.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:13 PM

I like it!

Old 12-29-2009, 05:41 AM
Default 2004 cadillac XLR Projector HIDs onto an 05 1000RR

I would throw HIDs on your stock headlights because aftermarket headlights are not the greatest thing to throw them in to unless you do a projector retrofit.HIDs do come in MANY cars that are reflectors.. such as Lexus IS300, GS400, a lot of Mercedea, Acura CL, Cadillac Escalade..ect.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Innobbeks
HIDs do come in MANY cars that are reflectors.. such as Lexus IS300, GS400, a lot of Mercedea, Acura CL, Cadillac Escalade..ect.
Most cars with HIDs use projectors, very few use reflector housings anymore (like the Escalade, they switched to projectors in 2007) -- and those reflectors are designed for HIDs. The guys who design OEM reflectors don't just scratch their heads, say "yup, it's shiny! Throw a bulb in there!" The light pattern from the arc in a xenon bulb is nothing like the pattern from the filament in a halogen and the reflectors are designed accordingly. I don't think the stock lights would be any better with HID kits than aftermarket -- especially older stock lights with fluted lenses, which are about the worst thing you can pump xenon light through (or the best, if your goal is to blind other drivers). A proper HID retrofit on a bike is a rare and beautiful thing, please don't defile justasquid's thread with this talk of kit bulbs in stock headlights

I picked up this beautiful thing this morning on ebay for $71:

Name:  c6projectors.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  16.2 KB

It's an '08 Corvette headlight, the projectors will be used in a scratchbuilt custom fairing for my F1 mod project.