General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked and repossessed bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked and repossessed bikes

Just a question for everybody out there...has anybody had any experience with repo or wrecked bikes? By that I mean has anyone bought a wrecked or repossessed bike and fixed it up? Was it in bad condition when you got it? What kind of damage and how much did it cost to fix? (I know I can use ebay and such) I was thinking of buying a wrecked or repo bike (not any specific ones in mind yet and not for a while) with light(er) damage for cheap and then putting some time in to fix it up. Is this a good idea or am I crazy? My dad always told me was if there's damage in one place, there's probably more where you can't see it. My biggest concern is that there will be frame damage that I don't notice and it will end up costing more just to get the bike back in order than just originally buying a used bike... Or I guess a question for those of you that have been in an accident how badly was your bike damaged and was it repairable or did you just get rid of it or part it out? Also, are repossessed bikes sketch? Thanks guys!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:18 PM

My current bike (1995 CBR900RR) has a salvage title. It had pretty much all over damage (Mainly to the plastics on both sides, I paid 1500 for it. It ran when I got it and drove straight, just needed new plastic, right clip-on, exhaust, and rearsets. I bought all the fairings, clip ons, exhaust and rearsets for 550 total. Then of course I threw more money at it and got new tires, chrome rims, chrome accessories, and I'm currently painting my new fairings. Its fun and I'd recommend it to you if you are mechanical, have free time to do something, and have a want to do it say you stay with it lol. I love my bike, and so far I have done all of the work to it, even stuff I've never done before. It kinda gives me a little more pride or something knowing i fixed it and put it back together

Old 02-20-2009, 08:20 PM

Oh and I made sure there was no damage to the frame and test drove it to make sure it handled normal, otherwise I probably wouldn't have got it. I planned on buying a salvage bike either way to fix up over the winter (I bought my 900rr in november, its probably 85% completed)

Old 02-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bruno, ALOT of bikes get "scrapped" by the insurance companies for what I would consider "minor" damage. Like Camaros. Mostly fairing damage and a couple replacement parts, cause of the outrageous STEALership prices to fix em. (i.e. a new upper fairing cost over 500 alone, let alone a full kit) As for my bike, I got an '01 F4i from a police auction for 1500 (coulda got for 1100 but the owner was tryin to buy it back) Salvage title (all police auctions have to issue a salvage title, unless it was used as a city vehicle, then it has a municiple title). Upper was cracked, right fairing cracked and rashed pretty bad, broke the frame slider off, ripped the 2 bros. can off (still got the mid-pipe) and rash on the bar end and levers. Started right up after sittin in the impound for who knows how long. And it needs tires and a brake job. I spent $60 for a side fairing on eBay (same color scheme) great condition, $50 for a stock muffler on craigslist, and duct taped the upper, so I could ride. that was in August. I've since then got a new chain and sprocket kit, brake pads and SS lines, spark plugs, some flushmounts, and some gear (to protect my arss). And plan on changing the oil before warm weather rolls in. If you buy any used bike, plan on shelling 5 or 6 bills for "maintenance" (less if its got good tires) Check out the "used bike buyer's guide" sticky on here, and dont be scared off by a salvage title, just go over the bike with a fine toothed comb (and remove the fairings if you can), the only downside of a salvage title is resale value (if the bike ain't some mangled POS). As for frame damage, the weakest points are the welds, thats where you wanna look for cracks, make sure the forks are straight, and test ride it if you can, alot of people "f" up second gear either cause they really dont know how to shift properly or riding wheelies and sht. If you get a stunted bike, theres a much greater risk of "hidden" damage. Do your research, get what YOU like, and ride safe. Good Luck

Old 02-21-2009, 10:50 AM

I would also say if it won't start, probably would be best to stay away from it unless you know what you are getting into and its a great deal. I saw a 2007 ninja with 5 miles totaled out because some guy lowsided it right after he bought it. All it had was scratches on the tank, a broken mirror, and cracked plastic lol. Be leary of anything with frame damage, a cheap price isn't worth risking your life

Old 02-21-2009, 04:44 PM

thanks guys! i agree with you camaropower...my dad bought a wrecked car a while back and we both fixed it up...it was fun to rebuild it and even more so to take pride in driving it! ive been looking at a lot of different wrecked bikes and most have looked like they only have minor fairing damage. im okay with that cause ebay has a lot of fairing pieces for cheap. im just concerned about the forks being twisted/bent and/or the engine being a real pos. i can fix some things but i dont plan on completely rebuilding the engine and transmission. how much would it take for someone to bend or twist the forks? a major crash or just going down while taking a corner too fast? thanks again!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:11 PM

I'm not sure what it would take to do that, its best to be able to test drive to see how it handles. I also have cars with rebuilt salvage titles lol, a 97 Camaro RS and a 99 Volkswagen Passat. I actually got my fairings from a member here. I'm sure you can find forks on ebay too at a reasonable price, but I would wonder about frame damage then. I believe my bike was just low sided and had primarily right side damage, but most of the fairng pieces were messed up. None of the engine was hurt, and the forks have no problems at all

Old 02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Default rebuild

i am just about finishing a 95 f3 now...bike was plipped and bounced down street..but.i think this key...no fluid leaks...and bike started and i went through 3 gears.very mildly considering both rims where bent/cracked...
front rim $200 (bonus with tire) will probable be most expensive considering front rims will be damaged in most accidents and will bring better price.front fairing stays seem to be pricy also
rear rim and tire combo $70, swingarm, left clip on with switches and cables.windsheild.mirriors tail plastics,tail light rear signals.paint..........lowers were ok...patched dent in tank..should also replace front upper fairing (some other day)...any way it will proable cost me $800 in repairs along with the $320 i paid for it.......if i did it perfect from the start about $1100........but the bike didnt need any cdi or other electric parts....good luck..
edit..some bikes have a removable sub frame at the tail(if one is bent)....95 f3 doesnt

Last edited by ugly; 02-23-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 AM

alright, so so far it sounds like everyone has had fairly positive reviews of buying a wrecked bike...it sounds like you guys did a lot of homework in trying to find a bike with minimal damage...anybody had a bad experience where the bike turned out to be more work than they thought or they missed something?