General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wont stay running

Yeah that sounds just about whats going on with mine. I havent found any fried wires yet but i havent really looked. Mine dies in first when im stopped also and then i cant start it back the battery is like completely gone. i hooked up a meter to my battery yesterday to see what the voltage was and its was 14 something i think if i remember right before i started it which would mean that its getting charged, but then something is pulling it back down. Then i started it and went down a little and then when ever the rpms starting going down so did the voltage in the battery until it died then the battery was dead. so i think something is draining the battery im not sure though. i bought a service manual off ebay so when it comes in ill be able to take some closer looks but i dont know what exactly the problem is yet. Everyone else is pretty set that its the battery so i think ill go ahead and replace it. if you figure anything out let me know. ill do the same.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:23 AM

I'm experincing the same issue with my 94 F2.

Like you I figure it's battery problems. So, I take my battery in for a check up. They say the battery is fine after a charge. Thinking the issue is resolved, I fire up my bike and take a 30 mile trip. Everything is fine heading to my destination. Even slowing down for lights is not a problem. I jump on my bike after about 2 to 3 hours for the return home. It will not start. The battery is completely dead, eventhough the engine is still wam. In my case the first push start isn't difficult. But, at the first light I stop at it dies again. I couldn't push start it by myself. A motorist pulls over to help me. It takes a number of push tries before I can keep it trottled up to go. To make a long story short, less than 3 miles from home and 2 hours of push starting, completely exhausted I have to call my parents it get a flatbed trailer to pick me and the bike up.

The next day I called a local dealership with my issues. I also told him I had nursed an old battery before buying this new one. By nursing, I mean if I could not get my bike to crank on the first start I would then preceed to push start it. He thought I might have damage the Alternator. He also said it could be the Rectifier Voltage Regulator draining the battery. My bike's been sitting in my garage for 3 months since I don't fill like paying $800 (if I do the work myself) for an alternator for a bike that worth around $2500. I am not sure what the rectifier cost. [sm=pcwhack.gif]--------------------I hope this helps.--------------------[sm=smiley20.gif]

Let's us know if you find a cure or what's creating the issue!!!!

Old 03-22-2006, 11:30 AM

How low is your idle set at guys? What about the alternators on your bikes - are they ok?

Old 03-22-2006, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: F4iGuy33

I have a 2001 F4i and right toward the end of season last year i started having trouble with the battery. It wouldnt hold a charge. I would be sitting at a stop light and it would go dead and wouldnt start back up. So i dedcided to just wait until next season to get it looked at and i took it to a honda shop and all they did was charge up the battery and they said it started right up for them everytime. Well me and a friend are painting it and when we got done i took it out and tried to start it and it did the same thing. so i just rolled down the drive way and popped the clutch and it started. well when i got it home i turned it off and tried starting it and it started right up and started again the next day but once i turn it on and let it warm up and the rpm's rise then as it gets warm the rpms start going back down and then it just kind of bogs down and dies. I dont know what it is and i dont really want to take it back to the honda shop so they can charge me an arm and a leg to charge the battery again. What could it be?

Did you do a continuity test? (SPELL CHECK PLEASE!) Get yourself a voltmeter and make sure you have good ground for the negative cable at the battery, and pop the stator cover and check to make sure the wires are connected and not burnt or striped/pinched. Your going to need HONDA bond and a new gasket to reassemble the cover.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:31 PM

I dont feel like paying someone else to look at my bike again and just charge up the battery and cost me like 100 bucks. So i bought a service manual that will hopefully show me how to look at everything. I dont know what a continuity test is?? I have a voltmeter i think. Its that thing that checks the voltage on the battery right? well if it is i checked my battery and it said that its got like 14 volts or something like that but when i start it and it warms up and the rpms start to go down where it idles the voltage goes way down. Right now my bike idles at like 500-1000 because what ever problem i have. Im going to try and raise my idle today and see what happens but i will post the results. and how do i check my alternator? I was told bikes dont have alternators they have like generators or something.....but im guessing thats not true?? Will i be able to take off and replace the stator cover myself if i have the service manual?? I dont really know how to do anything on it myself i have friends that can do it but i think they are getting annoyed with me asking for help so i want to try and do it all myself....do you think that i will be able to with the manual or is that not enough info?

Old 03-22-2006, 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: F4iGuy33

I dont feel like paying someone else to look at my bike again and just charge up the battery and cost me like 100 bucks. So i bought a service manual that will hopefully show me how to look at everything. I dont know what a continuity test is?? I have a voltmeter i think. Its that thing that checks the voltage on the battery right? well if it is i checked my battery and it said that its got like 14 volts or something like that but when i start it and it warms up and the rpms start to go down where it idles the voltage goes way down. Right now my bike idles at like 500-1000 because what ever problem i have. Im going to try and raise my idle today and see what happens but i will post the results. and how do i check my alternator? I was told bikes dont have alternators they have like generators or something.....but im guessing thats not true?? Will i be able to take off and replace the stator cover myself if i have the service manual?? I dont really know how to do anything on it myself i have friends that can do it but i think they are getting annoyed with me asking for help so i want to try and do it all myself....do you think that i will be able to with the manual or is that not enough info?

Don't be intimidated by the bike. If you have service manual and voltmeter your already ahead of the game. The honda manual sections 17 electrical and 21 wiring should guide you. When your board read it for kicks. I leave mine by the bowl. Knowledge is power!

Old 03-23-2006, 03:22 AM

You should check the ACID level in your battery. If its low add some distilled water, if you cant get distilled water boil some water for 10 minutes, let it cool to room temp and add it to the cells that are low. Once topped up put the battery on a trickle charger (they are the best for charging) you can use a regular charger but quicker charging isn't as good as trickle charging.
I have done this my self and works great, if you keep riding your bike with a battery that keeps dieing you will kill your regulator or solenoid = $$$$$$$

Old 03-23-2006, 10:22 AM

Alright so i guess all i can do now is wait on that manual to come in and then i can start trying to figure out whats going on....thanx for all the help ill keep posts of my progress for all of you who are having the same problem and please let me know if you have any luck in your attempts.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:17 AM

are you waiting for a service Manual?

http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/i...op-manual.html

Old 03-23-2006, 03:14 PM

Yeah i bought a service manual off ebay. So im waiting on that right now it should be here anytime.

Quick Reply: Wont stay running