General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble???

I bought this 07 1K RR pretty new. I've been taking it fairly easy on it, I recently turned 4000 miles and changed my oil and I've been getting a bit more aggressive with it. I noticed today that itgives me a bit of a wobble when down shifting at times and also when turning into my road which has a couple bumps in the turn. Its a wobble I never noticed at all before though. Tires are good and everything seems to be tight and snug. Could it be HESD at low speed not really doing anything? I dont think I'm "that" aggressive...... Any Ideas on what is wrong or is this just the nature of the machine and I'm just noticing it? Any Ideas would be appreciated.......

Old 08-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Default RE: Wobble???

try adjusting your rebound on your front forks.. it could be set too high

Old 08-19-2008, 04:17 AM

Steering damper.....sorted!!! Yeah, tune your rebounds and compression of your forks to your liking but dont punish your baby on the test or else you might get into an irreversible tankslap. I firmly believe in steering dampers, getting one will definitely save your hide if your bike decides to imitate a rodeo bull.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:03 AM

Your steering damper is speed sensitive. So at lower speeds, it really doesnt do much. Its really nota fault of the design, most of the time you only need a steering damper at higher speeds to prevent the dreaded tank slapper. Its a really good design that works well for its intended use. Some people have changed theirs to an aftermarket one, but I've never had an issue with a tankslapper.... even coming down from wheelies with the handlebar kicked to the side a bit, ithasnt upset the bike.

Im not sure why the wobble though. down shifting can cause a wobble or upset the bike if you let out on the clutch too fast and/orwith a rpm that is a bit high. Basically your rear tire istrying to find traction and only the rear of the bike "braking" can throw the bike off ballance a bit. Ifthis is the case, you need to be careful and not do this when therpms are too high as it will cause the rear tire tolock up. The low speed turn wobble I'm stumped on.

I've noticed my steering dampner when coming up to a stop will vibrate a little. Its basically the release of pressure to the handlebars.. Not sure if this is what you are refering too.. but its very subtle...

Old 08-19-2008, 11:17 AM

To be honest.... it feels more like a semi flat back tire for a second or two....... the first time it did it, I was almost home so I checked the pressure in the tires, checked all axel nuts, adjusters and such.....all good. I've been reading today about the compression and rebound damping. I'm not sure if thats it but the only thing I can find that sounds like it is "not enough rebound damping" on the rear. I have no experience with messing with this kind of thing so definately.... all input is appreciated!

Oh...at higher speed in the twisties.......she handles like a dream!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:17 PM

It might be worth mentioning to check to make sure your rear tire is aligned properly. Look at both sides of the swing arm and make sure your alignment marks are on the same line.

the link below will get you in the right area. this is a general setting that sportrider.com set up for their test riders. Your weight and riding habbits will differ, but it might be a good place to start. Also check out other areas of suspension setup... it will give the majority of the things you need to know.

go to the 06 cbr 1000RR under suggested suspension settings. under honda and scroll down until you see the 06 1000rr.. its the same as the 07.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/index.html

Old 08-19-2008, 11:18 PM