General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WNTR Storage- Garage isn't insulated. What cover/enclosure should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WNTR Storage- Garage isn't insulated. What cover/enclosure should I get?

I live in a house that has a garage. The garage isn't insulated and it's quickly approaching freezing temps here. Since there isn't any insulation the dew will form on metal objects in the garage when cold. I really don't want that for my new bike.

What cover or enclosure should I get? I'm leaning more toward an enclosure. Saw this but haven't heard anything
http://www.cycleshell.com/

Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 AM

If its inside your garage its out of the weather. Just add fuel stabilizer and pull the battery out.
Put some baited mouse traps out so the little buggers don't try and nest in the bike.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, I'd say don't cover her. The garage will protect it from the elements (except cold). But a cover could cause condensation to form under it, causing rust.

Do like thrasher said + lube the chain before storing it. If you're really paranoid, wrap the exhaust / air intake with plastic bags + rubber bands so critters can't crawl into the engine

Old 11-16-2009, 09:20 AM

I've lived in this house for a number of years. I've had a few cars sit in one side for the winter. The condensation does get in and it discolors/corrodes aluminum so I'm not taking it lightly.
Especially since this is the first vehicle I bought new and I'd quite like it to stay nice for as long as possible.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 AM

Did you use the car? Then if you have a warm engine cooling off and snow dropping off the car sure, moisture will be an issue. I have eight bikes stored in my garage so there is no room for pulling the car in and out- no wet snow and salt tracked in.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by thrasher572
Did you use the car?
These cars were not my daily drivers so no. Used for summer fun and drag racing.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM

I've had a bike for the last 4 winters, and all I ever did was add stabilizer, lube the chain, pull the battery, and put her in the air so the weight is off the tires. I've never used a cover. Has worked for me, and I've never had any issues when spring roles around.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're still getting condensation in the garage, I think a cover will be a really bad idea. The condensation will get under the cover (or inside that ventilated enclosure) and have nowhere to go.

For the short amount of time you're talking, the cover might make it worse than if just left without it

Old 11-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lube n wax er up well b4 storage n she'll be fine.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:23 AM

Is your clothes dryer vented into the garage? Where does all the moisture come from?

Quick Reply: WNTR Storage- Garage isn't insulated. What cover/enclosure should I get?