General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Questions - F4i - Edit All Done - With Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Questions - F4i - Edit All Done - With Pics

*Edit - Finally got done. Check out the pics:

Before:

After:

Was a bit of a pain, but I'm glad it's done, and think it was well worth it. Thanks for the help Don.

-------------------------------------

Ok. So this F4i had integrated turn signals (integrated into the brake lights).

I didn't like the existing undertail, and I didn't like that the turn signals were integrated (just didn't feel safe when making turns or lane changes) so I got a new undertail, the Euro GP style with LED's.

Now, I took the tail off and everything, it looked like the tail was ready to fit right in. But then I looked at the connections, and it doesn't look like I can connect the new tail to my existing wiring. I believe it's because my wiring was modified to accomodate the integrated turn signals.

So, my questions is what to do. Do I splice? If so, which wires (from the new tail) to which wires (on the bike)??

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Please check my gallery for the pics or click on the link I think

My photo Gallery - Taillight Wiring

Old 03-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Wiring Questions for my F4i - Please help

Does this help any?

Name:  F4iwiring.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  35.2 KB

Old 03-29-2006, 11:21 PM

Hey Collins

I actually have that. But I'm not too sure what to make of it.

My issue is that the connectors do not match. And I think it may be due to the Taillight integrator from hotbodies that is attached on the subframe.

I THINK that the stock wires were spliced with the Hotbodies device, but I am not sure. I would love to not have to splice any wires, but if I must I must.

So based on the pics and your knowledge, does anyone know what's going on. If the wires were spliced, is it just a matter of "untying" them and splicing them into those of the new undertail? Am I missing something...like an adapter or something???

Just when I thought it was going to be easy

Old 03-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Retired Administrator

You shouldn't have to cut the stock wiring. All I did was cut the wires on the signal side and plugged them back in. Can you do this?

Old 03-30-2006, 12:24 AM

Dont think so. You can see in the pics that the wires on the bike and the wires on the undertail wouldn't connect. Unless I cut BOTH of them and splice them together.

These are how the connectors look on the new undertail"

These are the ones on the bike. The ones in my hand were not in use (the blue, white and orange). Only the ones hanging below were connected to the brake light. I am assuming the ones hanging are not the stock wires, because they must have the turn signal wires integrated into them (because they were integrated brake/turn signals).

Here's another shot:

And this apparently is the "Brake Light - Turn Signal Integrator" from Hotbodies. As you can see near the bottom of the pic, the wires are taped up, on the other end of that tipe, the wires look like the 2 pictures above:

Hopefully that clarifies my issue.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:31 AM
Retired Administrator

I see... they spliced into the wiring before the stock connectors. Bastards. Looks like you're stuck cutting and splicing.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:35 AM
Retired Administrator

Do you have all of the wires pictured? I had four connectors. The blue and orange are the turn signals, the white is license plate light and I had a black connector for the break/running light.... I think it is black. But I know there are four connectors.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:37 AM

Before?

Where do I cut and splice?

All the way at the battery (or at the top of the battery, where it seems that all the wires connect to)?

Or you think from the last pic that they spliced INTO the existing stock wiring, and if I take that tape of right there, then the stock wires should be there.

Do I have to strip the wires on the undertail as well, and splice em together with the wires on the bike (you know, twist the stripped ends together and taping it up)??

If so, I guess that's not so bad. I was just hoping it'd be plug-and-play.

If you (doncollins) or anyone else could just clarify that, then I think I'd be done. No time to do it today because it's already night time in So Cal. So I just want to make sure so tomorrow I can get started.

Thanks for the help so far doncollins

Old 03-30-2006, 12:45 AM

ORIGINAL: doncollins

Do you have all of the wires pictured? I had four connectors. The blue and orange are the turn signals, the white is license plate light and I had a black connector for the break/running light.... I think it is black. But I know there are four connectors.

Oh I see.

Yes, I have the brake lights. Looking at the wiring diagram, there should be 2 connectors for the brake lights, with green/green/black. I have those (they are the ones hanging in pic 3 and 4).

The light blue (right turn signal) though seems to be cut. THe ground (Green wire) is there, but the blue wire is cut (I have no idea why). Hopefully it's somewhere in that tape.

Man...this is a pain in the ****..

The license plate one (the white connector) is there. But I won't be using that.
The Orange connector (the left turn signal) is there as well, and luckily that doesn't seem to be cut.

The wiring diagram does not show a black connector like you mentioned don. Just three connectors and the 2 connectors for the brake lights. I guess I should be able to use those, now my concern is the cut blue wire for the right turn signal.

Any suggestions on what to do about that?

Old 03-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Retired Administrator

It's hard for me to tell what's going on in the pictures.

First... the Hot Bodies box in the last picture is part of the integrated tail light you are removing, right? So you need to remove it and fix what ever splices they did. Then splice into the stock wiring that went to your tail and connect that to your new Euro GP style with LED's.

The orange plug with orange and green wire connects to the left signal

The white plug is the license plate light wiring.

The blue plug with the green and light blue wire connects to the right signal.

Green wires are the grounds, so connect them to the black wires on your Euro GP style with LED's.

For your stop light/tail light.... the wiring colors should be green/yellow for brake/tail light, looks like black/brown for the brake/tail light and the green is ground. For the brake and tail light, you'll have to play around a bit. The diagram doesn't show which is which. Of course, the brighter side of the bulb is the brake light. So have the wires striped and test to see if the yellow or red wire on the Euro GP style with LED's brakes or the tail light.

God I hope I explained this in a way you can follow.... Let me know how it goes...

Quick Reply: Wiring Questions - F4i - Edit All Done - With Pics