General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will my chain break and kill me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013 | 10:39 AM
|

Originally Posted by jeason15
Question: should I do (X,Y and Z)?
Answer: NO
Reply: well, I did it anyway against the advice of more experienced riders, and I didnt die. Maybe I should have saved us all some time and typing by just doing it without wasting everyones time...

Also, for future reference, the sticker that tells you to replace your chain is a very good guide, but in no way is a certainty, and as long as you have more room for adjustment, you can always adjust. All that being said, you should not have ridden, because you failed to recognize the real danger in this entire scenario. Your chain was probably WAY TOO LOOSE... Lubing it did virtually nothing for you for that one last ride. what you should have done was adjusted the chain to the man. specifications. the real danger that you placed yourself and others on the road in was not that you could have seized a link, but rather your chain jumping off the sprocket from being too slack. the same goes for too tight. that will break teeth and tear up your gearbox. I would highly suggest that you have your bike serviced by a qualified technician, and follow the owners manual when it comes to maintenance.
I have done ALL my bike maintenance except mounting tires myself, including valves, forks, electronics etc. Probably should have said so, but I did adjust the chain when I lubed it. It was a little looser than spec in some areas due to uneven wear, but not too loose, and there was still room in the adjusters. I adjusted the TIGHTEST areas to spec. Believe me, if I thought the chain was unsafe after that I would not have made the ride. Just had nothing better to do before riding than post hypothetical BS about my "neglected" chain. Sorry for getting people worked up about safety without real cause...

...How about in the future I just agree not to post foolish threads?

Old 06-06-2013 | 01:14 PM

We are just very passionate riders/mechanics that do not like to see younger or more inexperienced riders (or those that appear to be) get themselves into sticky situations. No harm done, sorry if I came off a little brash.

Old 06-06-2013 | 06:05 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Originally Posted by yz125
...How about in the future I just agree not to post foolish threads?
No, definitely do, because now someone who might have done the trip might think twice, or now you reminded them to adjust their chain. All, posts are useful - minus the oil ones - to some extent. If no one asks questions or shares their experiences than no one else will learn. Everyone gets their peepee stepped on, just gotta brush it off; now lets see some photos of the bike!

Last edited by CJardine; 06-06-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2013 | 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by CJardine
No, definitely do, because now someone who might have done the trip might think twice, or now you reminded them to adjust their chain. All, posts are useful - minus the oil ones - to some extent. If no one asks questions or shares their experiences than no one else will learn. Everyone gets their peepee stepped on, just gotta brush it off; now lets see some photos of the bike!
Well Said! That's the benefit of these forums, the exchange of information and to some extent our education. There are times that even the most obvious ("stupid") question has real value for someone else. Many times I have learned something new from the more knowlegeable and experienced members when I or someone else posted that "stupid" question.