General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will my chain break and kill me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013 | 04:17 PM
|
Default Will my chain break and kill me?

My chain is worn out and needs adjustment again after being lubed / adjusted only 300 miles ago. I was hard on the bike last time I rode and the chain seems a little noisy, maybe this is just from the extra slack. I plan on lubing and adjusting it but here's my issue: I have a new chain 170 miles away. If I adequately lube and adjust my current chain and it doesn't have any frozen links, will I probably be OK to ride another 170 miles? I'll be taking it easy, of course.

Old 05-31-2013 | 04:31 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Yes it will kill you.... where is your chain adjuster in perspective of the notch marks on the swingarm? You could just readjust your chain and keep it lubed and clean, keeping an eye on it and checking it after every ride. Why are you waiting 170 more miles?

The way you phrased the question is a bit ominous by the way. So, the advice given in this post does not hold me (CJardine) liable in any way if harm or damage may occur to you (yz125), or any other reader who heads to this advice. I am not an expert and I only offer opinions.

Old 05-31-2013 | 04:55 PM
|

I ordered a new chain online with some other parts to a friend's house in another city. The chain adjuster is at the end of the "replace" region.

What I'm really asking is: if I properly lube the chain (warm) and there are no frozen links, does this most likely indicate I'm not at high risk for chain breakage / seizure?

Old 05-31-2013 | 05:04 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

to my understanding you are correct, as long as you are replacing it soon than you should be ok.

Old 05-31-2013 | 05:12 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

Stranded is the best case scenario, if the chain breaks.

One of 3 things happen...
1 It just spools out on the road and you instantly lose power/speed.

2 It breaks on the bottom run and then packs the entire top run into your case,
cracking/breaking it.

3 It breaks at the top run and wraps the rear sprocket, instantly locking the rear wheel.

All 3 suck and depending on circumstance and traffic conditions,
can all lead to loss of control and wrecking.

From your description of the drive-train, I would lean towards caution.
Maybe it would be worth the shipping, rather than ride the miles to pick it up?

If you do a through clean/lube, you might make the run,
but it's probably not a good idea. Especially, if you were concerned enough
to be asking, in the first place.

As mentioned by CJ, since we're not there (in person),
responsibility requires us to tender our advice to the cautious side.

Ern

Old 05-31-2013 | 05:13 PM

Look up how to adjust and maintain a chain. Check the links so you know they won't come apart, use a chain alignment tool, adjust the tightness, lube it and ride. After all that if there is more than an inch and half slack in the chain with no more room left to tighten then I would not ride it hard at all and replace asap. . If chain comes off at speed it can f you up pretty bad, could damage bike too.

Old 05-31-2013 | 09:23 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

If I adequately lube and adjust my current chain and it doesn't have any frozen links, will I probably be OK to ride another 170 miles? I'll be taking it easy, of course.
Grab the chain at the 3 oclock angle on the rear sprocket if it pulls clear of the teeth
don't ride it - if it comes out half way - I'd say it'll pull you along for another "easy"
170 miles once you lube it up good

Old 06-01-2013 | 01:43 AM

I'll take a #1 please.....

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Stranded is the best case scenario, if the chain breaks.

One of 3 things happen...
1 It just spools out on the road and you instantly lose power/speed.

2 It breaks on the bottom run and then packs the entire top run into your case,
cracking/breaking it.

3 It breaks at the top run and wraps the rear sprocket, instantly locking the rear wheel.

All 3 suck and depending on circumstance and traffic conditions,
can all lead to loss of control and wrecking.

From your description of the drive-train, I would lean towards caution.
Maybe it would be worth the shipping, rather than ride the miles to pick it up?

If you do a through clean/lube, you might make the run,
but it's probably not a good idea. Especially, if you were concerned enough
to be asking, in the first place.

As mentioned by CJ, since we're not there (in person),
responsibility requires us to tender our advice to the cautious side.

Ern

Old 06-02-2013 | 09:37 PM
|

I lubed the chain thoroughly and it made the trip. Now the bike has new chain, sprockets, SS brake lines and Honda oils. Definitely needs a new windscreen though. The stock shielding sucks especially with a tank bag.

Old 06-05-2013 | 03:39 PM

Question: should I do (X,Y and Z)?
Answer: NO
Reply: well, I did it anyway against the advice of more experienced riders, and I didnt die. Maybe I should have saved us all some time and typing by just doing it without wasting everyones time...

Also, for future reference, the sticker that tells you to replace your chain is a very good guide, but in no way is a certainty, and as long as you have more room for adjustment, you can always adjust. All that being said, you should not have ridden, because you failed to recognize the real danger in this entire scenario. Your chain was probably WAY TOO LOOSE... Lubing it did virtually nothing for you for that one last ride. what you should have done was adjusted the chain to the man. specifications. the real danger that you placed yourself and others on the road in was not that you could have seized a link, but rather your chain jumping off the sprocket from being too slack. the same goes for too tight. that will break teeth and tear up your gearbox. I would highly suggest that you have your bike serviced by a qualified technician, and follow the owners manual when it comes to maintenance.

Quick Reply: Will my chain break and kill me?