General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my can say not for road use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my can say not for road use?

I have an exhaust can on my bike. I believe it is a leo pipe, and it says on the band not for road use, yet it is relatively quiet to some pipes I've heard in the area, why would mine say not for road use? Could it be a pipe from california, or made for a bike that is supposed to run a cat?

Old 02-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are no street legal aftermarket exhaust systems for bikes. Period. It is a federal law and generally the local LEO's don't bother you too much about it. Unless it's obnoxiously loud -- then there's usually a local ordinance that they'll get you on.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:45 PM

I guess you learn something new every day. So is there any way I could get more than a noise fine for having mine on?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 PM

I'm pretty sure there is such thing as road-legal aftermarket exhausts. However, there are muffler makers out there who know that certain mufflers they sell won't pass sound tests, or they don't bother to test their mufflers, so they just put a "racing only" stick on it, and sell it to road bikers anyway.

The laws actually say that you can't use a muffler that doesn't have baffles/muffling... meaning, you can't use an empty can, a straight-through muffler, or a muffer that's been gutted. And you can't exceed 95 DB (at least in some states), which many aftermarket exhausts do.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even cans that are only 2db louder than stock have "for off road use only" labels on them.Leo's will only pick on you if you give them a reason to.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:40 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecR
I'm pretty sure there is such thing as road-legal aftermarket exhausts. However, there are muffler makers out there who know that certain mufflers they sell won't pass sound tests, or they don't bother to test their mufflers, so they just put a "racing only" stick on it, and sell it to road bikers anyway.

The laws actually say that you can't use a muffler that doesn't have baffles/muffling... meaning, you can't use an empty can, a straight-through muffler, or a muffer that's been gutted. And you can't exceed 95 DB (at least in some states), which many aftermarket exhausts do.
Find me an aftermarket motorcycle exhaust system that is street legal in all 50 states and I'll send you $50 via paypal ...

I've been riding for a long time and never had a LEO say anything about the exhaust except a couple that they sounded sweet. They were usually more interested in why I was going so fast ...

Old 03-01-2010, 05:59 AM

This goes for trucks as well I've got flow masters on my 09' silverado, my step dad is a cop and told me anything other than factory exhaust is not street legal. However since more than 50% of the vehicles around have aftermarket exhausts they are lenient unless it is really really loud.

Only time i've ever heard of anyone getting a ticket for non-factory exhaust is people with straits.....although i got pulled over when i was in high school for 50 series flowmasters on my s-10 ( 4 cylinder ) Lol it was quiter than my f4i. Think the cop was just being a douche though he complained that people were trying to sleep and it was 6 in the evening.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
Find me an aftermarket motorcycle exhaust system that is street legal in all 50 states and I'll send you $50 via paypal ...

I've been riding for a long time and never had a LEO say anything about the exhaust except a couple that they sounded sweet. They were usually more interested in why I was going so fast ...

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/new...ise/index.html

lol, send me my $50...who would have thought harley would be the one with a quiet exhaust.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But is it factory or aftermarket?

Quick Reply: Why does my can say not for road use?