General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why is the CBR so tough?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is the CBR so tough?

I dont know why, but the CBR seems to be the toughest bike I've ever come across, rode, worked on, or looked at/read about.

its quite weird, but I just cant get over the fact that the CBR 600 is one of the toughest bikes out there that I've ever seen, kinda like an M1 tank of bikes.

probably what I'm really asking is, why are they so great? did Honda just intentionally make them so rugged, or what? they're just not easy to kill, and flat out kick ***.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:32 AM
Default RE: why is the CBR so tough?

Well, from my opinion Honda has been making bikes since the late 40's with adding small motors in bicycles. I guess with time they got damn good at it and take pride in their craftsmanship. If you compare to a Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha (yamaha isn't too far behind either) the others just seem cheap, especially the suzuki and kawasakis. The Honda's typically cost a few bucks more too. I'm sure they do a lot more R&D also.
As an example, a friend of mine dropped his 2006 GSXR 1000 at slow speed and the drop cracked the stator cover and leaked out almost all of the oil on the spot. Now, after my highside the bike flipped and slammed on the left side rashing the hell out of the stator cover but did not crack it at all. The rest of the bike, however, is a different story lol.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every so often, a bike manufacturer comes up with gem. If it's a success, the others follow.
Honda has always been good on the engineering side, but like the others, they have created some dogs as well. (like the 650 Revere) an underpowered, over priced, piece of twadle, did not do well and disappeared, the motor reappeares many years later to some acclaim, in two guises. When Honda 1st released the CBR600, it did not do great business (here at least) Many where sus of it's "so called" ability coming from such a small donk. The market was dominated by the 750 & 1000cc bikes.
However, the other manufacturers not being stupid, recognised the potential of the bike and soon followed.
Honda did indeed invest heavily in the R&D department, the result of which, that up until the F4 & F4i, the bike only received small modifications every so often to keep it competative with the other brands. It won a load of races world wide, many "bike of the year" awards. was the biggest selling Honda of all time, all this despite being a "Sports Tourer" (the RF designation, now RR "Road Race")
It's bullet proof because of it's relatively simple configuration, quality components (a reputation Honda has well & truly earned).

Old 10-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Retired Administrator

In my opinion… Honda takes a trade off in our favor. When you build an engine, you end up trading durability for power, or at least you do in some areas. Honda consistently trails by a few HP each year. Would you rather have a bike that has an extra 5HP or one that runs in a reliable state for years/miles?

So my guess is… they trade off HP to give us a product that will be around a lot longer.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:28 PM

+1 for HONDA !!!!!!

Old 10-15-2006, 01:56 PM

why is the CBR so tough?
Cause

Would you rather have a bike that has an extra 5HP or one that runs in a reliable state for years/miles?
Well since you put it that way that 5 extra Hp sure does sound nice......

Old 10-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Registered Users

I'm guessing it's because there's still a wash off from the 1960's Honda ad campaign, "You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda"

Back then, the leather jacketed crowd were strongly representing the old Harley type cruisers, which in actuality were post-WWII bikes soldiers brought back with them from the war. Just like now, those types of bikes were always breaking, and not everyone wanted to be associated with the leather crowd.

In steps Honda with the ad campaign to back up it's new line of scooters....which turned into dirtbikes....then eventually the motorcycles we have today. Quality and durability being the underpinnings of the line.

And that's why the CBRs, and any Honda vehicle, is built to last....

Just my $.02....