General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why aren't fuel tanks made of aluminum or plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why aren't fuel tanks made of aluminum or plastic?

I've been treating my fuel tank now for a week, trying to rid myself of the rust an scale that's on the inside. I think I've gotten it done, but I have to ask, why don't the manufacturers use aluminum or plastic for the fuel tanks?

You could prevent fuel system contamination this way. I just don't get it.

Feedback?

Old 01-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

People do make aluminum gas tanks. But aluminum is more expensive, you have to use thicker aluminum, and it's harder to work with. That doesn't work well for manufacturers. It's mainly an aftermarket deal. But a lot of choppers and cafe racer's use aluminum tanks. Jeese James even made one once on one of those chopper build-off shows

As far as making them out of plastic, well, have you ever held a 4 gallon jerry can? It weighs a lot, and mounting that plastic to a motorcycle frame, dealing with the heat (causing plastic to get softer), the risk of sliding a bike on the pavement, etc. It wouldn't be very smart.

But I've seen some completely carbon fiber gas tanks - now THOSE ARE COOL.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 PM

To add to what Conrice said...

Ever hear about those Ducati gas tank issues? The plastic tank idea doesn't really work well because the fuel (ethanol treated fuel that is), heat and other factors cause the tanks to expand and contract. The Ducati tanks are pretty bad on some of their models to the point where people have had 3-4 new tanks installed on late model bikes.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

One other issue concerning plastic is safety. In the unfortunate event of a slide or crash, plastic is much more likely to rupture allowing fuel to be released and maybe combust.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
To add to what Conrice said...

Ever hear about those Ducati gas tank issues? The plastic tank idea doesn't really work well because the fuel (ethanol treated fuel that is), heat and other factors cause the tanks to expand and contract. The Ducati tanks are pretty bad on some of their models to the point where people have had 3-4 new tanks installed on late model bikes.
I can attest to that. I swapped out my plastic tank for the DP aluminum one (which actually cost the same as a new OEM plastic one..) I did this before I moved back to the USA and had to deal with the E10. In Italy, there are zero problems with fuel deforming the tanks.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ethanol is some pretty nasty stuff...

Old 01-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

If they were made of plastic my magnetic tank bag would keep falling off. Very dangerous and distracting.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 AM

I don't understand how plastic wouldn't be a good choice here - just look at dirt bikes to see that plastic tanks are really more durable than you imagine. Heat deformation is minimal as the four stroke mx bikes run really hot when you're banging a 450 single off the limiter for a half hour non stop. It's pretty few and far between to see a tank that's been punctured by a stick or a stone, and even when they do slide out the frame is covering the tank and preventing the bike from sliding on the tank itself. If you need proof that plastic tanks can take the abuse on the road, search up supermoto crashes. The tank is protected by the frame and prevents asphalt from wearing through it.

You're right - ethanol is some nasty stuff. We've been using it in our plastic MX tanks for years now with nothing more than a leaky petcock seal every few years.

Steel is the OEM choice of material because it's easy to stamp into shape, easy to weld, provides good abrasion resistance, won't shatter or crack when dented (unlike aluminum) and is really really cheap. I'm sure it was in the game plan to have people buy replacement tanks when theirs rusted through.