General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who wants to help me find a problem on her? strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who wants to help me find a problem on her? strange noise

Hy guys, gals..
I have been struggling with a problem for some time now...
Scared to go further away from home.
So heres the deal. There comes a strange noise from somewhere under the motor or from rear tire. Noice occures when I am on low speed on corners, has to be an asfalt road. On other road cant hear it at all. Noise is only there when I have first or second gear on and I am giving gas. When I ride slow (start to going fast) It feels like something is going against something like wheel or chain or something. Usually when I ride straight it smoothens a bit but especially in left right turns..
So I checked the chain and the two dumbos who changed my tire some time agao had forgotten to close the chain locks. Made few circles to assure that the chain isnt too tight. But the noise didnt dissapear.
So I drove to a bigger road and when I started to add speed I switched the bike off to see if the noise is there. It wasnt. Bur reapeared as soon as I started to give more gas.
I tried to figure out but nothing seems to be misplaced

Would appreciate any ideas...

Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

How worn is your front sprocket? And rear? Sounds like something in the chain. Could it be rubbing on the swing arm? Mine has a rubber slider on the arm that wears with the chain. Put it up on a stand and roll it around.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:54 AM

Well I have it on the leg, rear sproket seems to be fine. So does the chain on running.
Putted first gear in... and that sound does not merge what I have on running...
I thought of gear box maybe but if that would of come there then it should of made that noise also on stand gear in...
So the noise still comes on on turns... I wanna curse really bad right now

Old 08-15-2012, 03:14 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just a fart in the wind... Rear wheel bearings?

Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 AM

swing arm.. I saw the tire has taken a bite from there so I tied it up with a small rope so that it would be a bit more far from the tire on turns...
But still.. I took it for a short ride and the noise is there but not so loud...
So I putted it onto the leg again to see how is that possible... and with a warm motor on first gear it still makes this wierd noise, different one and Really quiet... or like chain stops for a glimpse of second.. but that sound has allways been there even when she is on neutral gear...
Need to take it that mutch open so that I would see the front sproket aswell...
So it is safe to assume that one problem is on that swing arm... wheres the other :S
Or is there:S

Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 AM

As has been said Rear wheel bearing maybe going.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Might sound odd but check your rear break pads, for wear and that the squeal stoppers are in place correctly.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:26 PM

I bought yesterday oil change equipment and new brake pads to front and back...
Those I was up for few weeks now.. But have to take 7 big pines off from behind of my garden with fam. Lot of work for the weekend.. I hope to squeese her in somewhere aswell so that I can strip her down to see also the front end of the chain and sprocket..
Will keep you posted..

Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 AM

What kind of noise, what does it sound like? Reckon the guys are right, rear wheel bearings.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:47 AM

hmm so i have it open in the garden.. doing also oil change at the same time.
Havent pured new one in jet. She s empty.
I got her open and the front sproket is good looking, found out that there allready is the rubber slider.. and everything seems to be a okay... :S
I changed the front brakes... and I am gonna do a spray shain wash when I get the oil in but I have got a strong feeling thats not gonna end this problem.
Cause mainly all things seems to be okay that I thought where the broblem could be...
Rear brakes were in good condition, so I left new ones for next time.

What the sound is like?
Umm.. I can only hear it on turning when giving gas on first secons gear.
It sounds like god its hard to explane that :S
but feels like my belly would go down on surface for a bit and then lift up and goes again but fast with pauses...like you would walk on a clean road with a bit sand on it and when you dont lift your leg then the noise that comes when you slide your leg thro the small bits of sand... like rubbing...

Quick Reply: Who wants to help me find a problem on her? strange noise