General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is smart enough

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who is smart enough

Thanks City Worker. That's some good info... not really what I wanted to hear, but still good info.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:44 PM

Sorry [&o]

Old 11-06-2006, 01:06 AM

Sorry, but I'm just too curious. What exactly do you want to put (hide) in there?

Old 11-06-2006, 01:37 AM

OldFatGuy, this has been in the back of my mind also. Good info on the glue from CityWorker. You are thinking about installing LED blinkers arent you? What I might do is make a template of the mirror with blue painters tape and transfer to heavy paper. Tap out the mirror and make a new one from thin 12"x12" mirror squares from the Hdw store by getting the basic shape with straight cuts with a glass cutter, then sanding to shape. CityWorker I hope you are reading to comment.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:19 PM

Well cutting the mirror to your basic shape is really not to hard, you will want to start with a new glass cutter, and get in a couple of pratice scores (your cut) only score once, do not score over a score if the if it skips(not a complete score) just learn on the next practice score press a little more evenly, and always use a lubricant on your score like anti freeze or WD-40, if you don't the score will be hot and start popping and the glass won't run out on your score, now mind you that when you cut glass it does not cut threw the glass it only scores the surface then you apply preasure under the score to make the glass break along the score, follow ????? its kinda hard to explain hand positioning by typing it [:@] I've never had to do this before, I've always been able to show how it's done, so here go's, do this on a flat surface make your score then take a pencil or simulair object and place it directly under the cut and press down on both sides of the score evenly untill it breaks along your score, it might take a couple of times to get it, when you get your finished shape (straight cut's) you will have to cut your corners, score your pattern then get a matchbook cover and tear it off and wrap it over the glass then take a pair of pliers over the matchbook cover and snap the piece off (GOD I hope all this makes sense) now grinding to shape (this aint apiece of wood here) if you got a belt sander cool, if not sanding it by hand might take a while you want to wet sand this glass so it don't get hot, try dipping it in some water while you sand on it ( I don't recomend dumping water on a running belt sander [:@]) start with some 80 grit then go to a 120, ( we had special type's of rotory disks and belts made for the glass industry) so try some automotive sand paper, man I hope this helps............................or.....take it to a glass shop

Old 11-07-2006, 04:34 AM

Maybe this'll help. Just pay no attention to all of the grass, oil and other ****.
It looks to me like it's just a compression fit - no glue. Just the compression of the plastic housing holding it tightly in. I can't see any lip for it to be glued to.
Just keep in mind that if it breaks the mirror is safety glass with the mirror backing holding all the tiny glass pieces together. The mirror is also curved too, so nobody would be able to make it, at least not at a reasonable price. You'd have to buy a whole new assembly if it got mangled.
Anyway, here's a pic of mine...I'm sure yours is the same:

[IMG]local://upfiles/4409/4388241C26FB4571A06F57171A1BA44C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-07-2006, 08:42 AM

If you're wanting to put turn signals in, why not just get a set of mirrors off a GSXR that has em already intergrated, and just mount those?

Old 11-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah the edges of the houseing are heat moldedaround the mirror glass..was talking to a honda tech i know, well the F4i's are anyway.... if you can find a way to heat the edge abd leaver it out without mashing it, then that would be the way to go, but you have to be carefull not to over heat the glass.... good luck

peace

Old 11-07-2006, 11:12 PM

Ok so I over did it [>:]

Old 11-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know they sell them already, sounds like a lot of work to get some LEDs in the mirrors. believe me, I completely understand the DIY method, but I think even I am too lazy to do all that work. unless they were like $100.

Quick Reply: Who is smart enough