General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

white smoke after dealer oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke after dealer oil change?

hey gang i THINK i have a problem. i have an 02 954rr and i took it in for an oil change at a local dealership and since then when i crack the throttle atleast half way white smoke comes out of my exhaust when i let off. a friend of mine and i immediately noticed there was WAAAAY too much oil in th bike, so we completely drained it and refilled it properly. the smoking has gone down quite a lot but i'm still concerned because it still smokes a bit, especially when i first crank it up. after a while of riding it seems to kind of stop but only to start again when i go for another ride. now my friend says it's just the excess oil burning off and in time it should stop completely. the only other things we could thing of is either a gasket is shot or the oil filter (which is a yamaha brand filter) could be the wrong type. please help i really dont wanna mess my bike up, thanks!

Old 11-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Default RE: white smoke after dealer oil change?

Can you smell the smoke? Does it smell like burning oil or does it smell sweet? White smoke is usually a sign of headgasket failure, due to antifreeze/coolant getting into the combustion chambers. Check your oil, does it look milky or foamy? Short, cheap answer--yes, it's just excess oil burning off and is nothing to worry about. Longer, more expensive answer--you have a headgasket going out and it's going to have to be fixed. Expect a full R&R of the engine, having the head milled for flatness, fresh gaskets and maybe rings, etc, etc.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:44 PM

no the oil isnt milky, and it does smell like burning oil. the only thing with the gasket though is that i dont have any loss of power at all, the bike runs the same as it always has, doesnt sound different either. also the bike doesnt even quite yet have 10k miles on it. like i said it never did this at all until i got the oil changed. BUT, if the gasket IS the problem, how much does something like that cost to get fixed (this time at a HONDA dealer), and what all goes into it? thanks for the help.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:23 PM
dd

Head gasket would normally be caused by overheat problem. If its smoking from coolant in combustion chamber, level should be low at the reservoir. Is the temp. reading normal? Oil smoke is usually a blue color.
Oil filter shouldn't matter my frends Yam r6 takes the same Napa filter as my 929.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would take a while for any residule oil to burn off from being over filled, give it a little time to settle down before you start getting worried. My BMW boxer used to do it when you let it sit on it side stand for to long & took days for it to go away. Taking it for a decent long ride should help there. And am I the only one that thinks its funny, that your bike blows white smoke when you "let off"? (my wife & dog flee the room when I do) must be an aussie thing.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:21 AM

"let off" means fart in Aussie-speak? That's great...I'm definitely adding that termto my vocabulary

Old 11-23-2007, 06:45 PM

the temperature is definitely still normal, and the coolant level is the same too. maybe i'm just over reacting. like i say the bike runs the same, the only other possible thing i could think of is i added fuel injector cleaner a couple of weeks ago but i figured that would have run through by now. hopefully the smoke will go away soon, like i say it doesnt do it as much as it did and when i take it out for a bit it pretty much almost completely stops. thanks for the help guys i'll post again if anything comes up or if this persists.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:18 PM

It might just be a coincidence. White smoke may also just be excess condensation burning off on these colder mornings. Once it is done warming up it usually stops only to reappear when the engine is cold again. I am not sure where you live in the country though so I don't know if you have a cold winter or not. Could be that cheap winter gas mix too. Or if you have excess moisture in the gas. See if it continues when next you fill it up. I would try gas from somewhere else though.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:40 PM

I'm no pro, but I've been told and always believed it is BAD to overfill the oil. That when the oil pushes past the rings, it can damage them, and then if that happens they will alway leta little bit of oil past.

But, I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon here and say the smoke is just residual from the overfill of oil and should burn off soon. But if it remains, you mayneed to have your rings checked.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:05 AM

I think you are being over sensative. It probably always did that, you just never noticed. Happens to me a lot.

Also, from what I hear the honda and yamaha oil filters interchange.

Quick Reply: white smoke after dealer oil change?