General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where the H3ll Is My Oil Going

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where the H3ll Is My Oil Going

Ok...so within three thousand miles...i went from the proper fill level...to enough to make my CCT rattle on startup...now before some say "maybe the CCT went"...no...my CCT will ONLY make noise when the oil is starting to get a bit low...barely on the dipstick if on it at all...happened twice...now i'm trying to figure out where the oil is going...it doesn't blow out the exhaust with smoke at all, only time i EVER saw smoke was with a rev limit nuetral hit at a stop sign once, people trailing me on bikes don't see it when we are flying faster than we should be, it's not leaking anywhere...nothing on the ground where the bike sits nightly...so where the hell is it going....

Old 06-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Default RE: Where the H3ll Is My Oil Going

oil stealing elves are breaking into your garage every night and cyphening out a few drops of your oil.....

seriously though that is really odd, hope you can get it straightened out

Old 06-28-2008, 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: ynks4evr

oil stealing elves are breaking into your garage every night and cyphening out a few drops of your oil.....

seriously though that is really odd, hope you can get it straightened out
I have two rottweilers...they would have yummy elf treats lol...but its really bothering me...oh i probably should have mentioned my bike is a 1991 f2

Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 AM

hows your coolant level? Its not getting higher is it? I would make sure there isnt any frothy substance in your coolant.

Keep in mind, that there really isnt that much oil difference between full and low on the dipstick. I think its only about 5 ounces or so. With that in mind, your really not loosing that much oil.

My guess is your burning it. You may not see it, but it really wouldnt take much toburn up 5 ounces of oil over 3000 miles. You probably wouldnt see it. I would just make sure to check it every 1000 miles or so.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

check the inside of your fairings. i had an oil leak and nothing would ever be on the ground but sure enough it was all over my fairings on the inside and since it was progressive it wasn't going to leak while sitting so i never noticed it

Old 06-29-2008, 01:36 PM

just, that makes sense...when i filled it back to where it needed to be it was only about a half quart low...

havoc, thats a good idea...i'll check today before i ride