General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When getting your bike inspected

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 03:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When getting your bike inspected

During inspection, the following items are checked:

License plates with current decal, current registration, insurance I.D., and current motorcycle driver license
Steering, suspension, and wheel alignment
Handle bars or grip no more than 15 inches higher than the seat or saddle for operator
Horn
Red rear light and reflector
Stop light
Head light
Rear view mirror
Exhaust system
Tires
Seat, hand holds, and foot rests
Adequate brakes (Note: all 1974 and later motorcycles require brakes on front and rear wheels.)

Found that in the DMV site. I just have one question tho.
Red rear light and reflector
What's the reflector?? Is this something i need to add just like the reflectors on my helmet?? My MSF instructors already gave me some stickers so i'll be good to go plus i got a cheapy helmet i can use for riding just to the inspection place and back. I have a 01 f4i, i'm not sure if i have the reflector they're talking about..

Old 04-06-2006, 04:13 AM
Default RE: When getting your bike inspected

Now i could be wrong, but the only thing i could think of is the reflector on the bottom of the stock fender( with the green arrow in the pic). That may be what they are referring to, but if you don't have the stock fender then you wouldn't have that reflector anymore either. Just a thought.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5240/E64E9D0D36A34DF6813E587FADBB5753.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-06-2006, 04:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen people use a little red round reflector with a threaded stud on the back in place of a standard license plate bolt in order to eliminate the rear fender/OEM reflector and still stay legal.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 AM

Or drive to Houston and go to Mr. Sticker , they honk the horn , check the brake light and slap a sticker on it

Old 04-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was thinking i didnt have a reflector on the back bt now that i come to think of it.......i have the reflector license plate fasteners. they gave me an inspection with those, so i am sure you should be able to get one too.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:08 PM

Im pretty sure by reflector they mean your brake light reflector.Aftermarket covers or smoke screens and etc. dont have the reflector built in like the stock brake light cover.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Retired Administrator

In Virginia, the inspectors told me they will fail me because I removed all reflectors from the side... red ones on the back near the rear pegs and yellow on the front forks. I'm using a yellow reflective Dunlop on the front now and looking for 600RR in red reflective to replace my rear ones. That will pass me. Also, my integrated tail will not pass for turn signals since the signal lights are not 8" apart. Damn glad I'm moving back to Ohio.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:57 AM

well, my bike is all stock, but i'll check for the reflector pointed by fundude, i was in another forum, and they said that in april NYC is cracking down on all bikers. Pulling them over regardless if they had comitted a driving offense just to check for license, insurance, registration, registration sticker and inspection. So be careful, if you don't have your insruance, license with endorsement, and registration, its getting impounded, no sticker, will have a hefty ticket..be safe!

Old 04-08-2006, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: ImmaSquashYou

well, my bike is all stock, but i'll check for the reflector pointed by fundude, i was in another forum, and they said that in april NYC is cracking down on all bikers. Pulling them over regardless if they had comitted a driving offense just to check for license, insurance, registration, registration sticker and inspection. So be careful, if you don't have your insruance, license with endorsement, and registration, its getting impounded, no sticker, will have a hefty ticket..be safe!
that is because in NY every april registration expires, and usually with that, is insurance...

Old 04-09-2006, 05:08 AM

so i checked my bike, and there's no reflector in the back. I hope they don't send me home. Will know soon tho...