General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you change your tire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When do you change your tire?

When do u change your tire? I ride on my tires until the thread is showing around about 3/4 of the tire. Is this too long to wait? Its suppose to reach 50 this weekend and I'm trying to get one more ride in. This tire I'm on now is pretty bad. Has anyone ever had a tire blow on them?

Old 12-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Default RE: When do you change your tire?

edit whoops i thought it said how do you change your tires [&:]

i change my tires when there is a bald spot

Old 12-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not too familiar with all the tire manufactures but the ones I am familiar with mold wear indicators into the tread. For those who don’t know, wear indicators are the small recessed ridges that run perpendicular to the normal tread. When they become flush with the rest of the rubber it is time to change the tire. It is also recommended that you should change the front every time you change the rear. How I see it why not pay a little more for the great feeling knowing you have new rubber on both ends?

Now for my Dad speech.-

This sport is to dangerous not to spend the money and do things properly and safe. Would you fly on an airline if you knew they waited until something was bad enough to fix it? That is why the FAA regulates maintenance in the aviation world because people would wait and push things to far if they could get away with it. Not to further intentionally bust your ***** but it is illegal to ride around on tires with tread showing purely because some people don’t have enough sense to know when to get “better†ones.

Unless I was stunting at slow speeds in a controlled environment I would never wait until the threads show. You are just asking for lose of traction not to mention there is a lot less rubber there to prevent foreign object penetration making a blow out much more possible.

I have a pair of Pilot Powers hanging on my garage and I can’t wait to get them installed because I keep hearing how much better they are then my Dunlop 208’s.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:15 PM

I change mine when any hint of thread just starts poking its way through, but i`d take it easy if i knew the thread was comin through to risky. [:@]

Old 12-22-2005, 07:22 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Threads showing through indicate that you've gone past the manufacturers tread wear indicators. This means you have 0% chance of your family winning a lawsuit against them when you die in a horrible crash brought about by worn out tires.

I trust everyone now knows where I stand on this issue

Old 12-22-2005, 07:54 PM

Well said tribal

Old 12-23-2005, 06:49 AM

Yes Chain, your the Daddy.

But if i changed my tyres on the wear markers i`d get like 2500 miles from a rear, **** that they cost me £170 a set i`m gonna use em till the end. Safety Point Noted though

Old 12-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Retired Administrator

To add on the tread indicator 05Tribal was talking about. Read the manual that came with your bike or look up your tires to find where the indicators are at. The way I have always seen it, the TWI (tread wear Indicator) is marked by an arrow, actually a triangle, on the side wall pointing to the location of the TWI. The TWI is a raised section inside the actually grooves on the tires. You should start shopping for tires when you see this getting close to being flush with the rest of the tires. This is the best picture I could find. I know it's not a bike tire... but it's the best image I found that clearly shows the TWI in the tread design.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1936/843AF105AC734EAFADA026D469592C55.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2006, 03:27 AM

does anyone know if metzeler rennsports have these wear indicators? I know they are track tires and ive always changed them well before, but im wondering if they even have wear indicators, seeing as they are track tires and normally not street tires. I have a set on my bike and would like to go out riding this next week. I know there are no bald spots or anything and it seems like there is still plenty of tire left, but there wont be after they warm up so i was just wondering..

Old 01-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Retired Administrator

ORIGINAL: borntooxlr8

does anyone know if metzeler rennsports have these wear indicators? I know they are track tires and ive always changed them well before, but im wondering if they even have wear indicators, seeing as they are track tires and normally not street tires. I have a set on my bike and would like to go out riding this next week. I know there are no bald spots or anything and it seems like there is still plenty of tire left, but there wont be after they warm up so i was just wondering..
I found this from a different post:

"Yes, there are Tread wear indicators on the Supercorsa and Rennsport's. This will be very hard to find on a used tire because the TWI lettering that shows you where the indicators are will be scrubbed off."

Can you use anything to trace out the tread to see if you feel the rise of the TWI?

Quick Reply: When do you change your tire?