General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the worst that can happen with a worn chain???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What's the worst that can happen with a worn chain???

Thanks for the replies guys! Question; will any length chain fit on my bike? A guy on a local forum has a 100 link chain for $5!!! But I don't know if it will fit.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

108 link.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:46 PM

So I need a 108 link chain? A 100 won't work?

Old 02-17-2008, 03:53 PM

No. It would be about 8 links too short.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

The chain could snap while under heavy load, and with you in a tucked position the chain whips forward and takes out a chunk of your left calf and gets tangled in your denim jeans and jerk you off of the bike because your leg has now been used to lock the rear wheel and as you go down face first the bike would rotate and lnd on top of you and skid your face to a stop on the pavement with a peg gouging a massive hole in your back and taking with it your T3 and T5 vertabrae rendering your horribly disfigured and maimed to the point of unloveable where you remain lonely, in a wheelchair a quadropelegic completely helpless...

worst case scenario.
LOL thanks for that!

Old 02-17-2008, 06:57 PM

i know i rolled around with a worn chain because i had no cash for about a month. i was just really careful shifting and applying power. i finally replaced my sprockets and chain a week or 2 ago. but +1 on fixing it ASAP.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:14 PM

You really can't tell what might happen. Depends on the condition of the chain & sprockets, the riding conditions at the time it breaks, too many factors to consider. Basically you got 2 decisions: (1) keep riding it till you can afford a new chain and/or sprockets and RISK something happening either minor or major. (2) park it till you get a chain and/or sprockets and NOTHING will have happened during that time.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:06 PM

I say if it already had rust on it when you bought it, depending upon whether it was just very light spotty surface rust, or thicker rust that may have gotten to the pins,I'd say figure on the worse-case-scenario. A chain is more important than you can imagine when you really think about it. Nothing to compare with it in a car. It would be like trying to live without a heart.

The chain is a pretty vital organ, in fact, I just had to pay $261 (I am NOT kidding) to get my new 954 inspected yesterday, they installed a small LED to help "light up the license plate" (OVERCHARGED!) and tighten and lube the chain (OVERCHARGED!). Now, I knew I had to tighten the chain a little, but I had already cleaned AND lubed it a few days ago. They also put a few reflective stickers on the front and rear which later I just peeled off (stupid-*** State of Maryland, hate it!) The key was I just wanted to get my inspection certificate and get it the hell over with, so I can go to DMV tomorrow and get my plates. So,in a sense, any chain south of $150 is a pretty good deal. Get a decent O-ring or X-ring chain, they tend to last longer and you don't have to lube them as often. I can vouch for RK and DID chains, they're pretty darn good.

Having a chain break could be worse than getting a flat tire suddenly if you think about it. I mean, at least the rubber is still attached to the wheel... if they chain breaks, you'll have no more power to the rear wheel at all, and as others have stated, it could break your leg or lock up and cause a crash.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:36 AM

Worse case scenarios:

Chain slip off and binds up and locks up back end, sending you into uncontrollable speeds wobbles. You're either tossed off the bike and wait to see what happens next, or you maintain control of the bike until it comes to a sudden stop and you wait to see what happens next, or you maintain control until it comes to a stop and you'll have bruised fingers, knees, some grindage on the swing arm and rim, possibly some sprocket damage as well as the possiblity of some front end damage depending on the speed you were at at the time.

Chain slips off, binds, snaps swings up and amputates your leg for you (if you removed that ugly chain guard), at which point you wait and see what happens next out of all possible scenarios.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'm going to keep the bike parked until I get a new chain. Now I just have to figure out what size chain I need. I know 520 will work but how many links???

Quick Reply: What's the worst that can happen with a worn chain???