General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain maintenance questions

When I purchased my bike the chain was bone dry so I sprayed on some white "chain lube" and it worked fine. After 3-4 applications it turned black n gunky, what options are there for cleaning it?? Ive heard of gasoline, diesel, degreaser, kerosene..... what do u guys prefer and use? Also what type of lubricant do u all use and find most effective with minimal clean up later on?? Thanks

Old 01-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Chain maintenance questions

I always use paraffin (kerosene to you guys) with a brush in a bowl ...I hold it beneath the chain and liberally brush the para over the chain and watch the dirt and grit just fall into the bowl below, then I move the chain around to do the rest ..it doesnt take long, once it has dried off its down to personal preference .. some are happy with spray chain lubes etc but I find them incredibly sticky due to anti fling properties and they just seem to hold more grit in the end ..I just use gear hypoid 80/90 oil applied with the tube as I rotate the chain around ..I use this sparingly and very frequently and my chains never seem to wear out :-)

Jules

Old 01-06-2009, 03:05 PM

thanks jules, i'll look for that and try it out becuase that spray on deal didnt please me at all. Do u also clean the little procket on the front? Can your pour these quemicals on the sprockets, specially the front one?? Anyproblem what so ever? thanks again

Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I tend not to checo, its hard to reach and I rely on the paraffin soaked chain to clean it ... back one is easy obviously but with the front being so small and have a parafin soaked chain pass over it I think its ok, never had a problem anyway :-)

Jules

Old 01-06-2009, 03:35 PM

chain cleaner...kerosene, brake cleaner...yep yep

Old 01-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Good info Jules, Im having trouble finding the "hypoid gear oil" locally, do u think another brand with the same weight 80/90 work also??

Old 01-06-2009, 04:13 PM

I generally just put my bike on a stand, use a toothbrush and simplegreen and scrub the crap off that way. I've got a cookie tray I put under the chain and just watch the filth crumble away/off the chain. then I use whatever chain lube I have at the time. usually the champion chain lube I get at walmart since I also lube cables with it.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 PM

An old tooth brush and tide high effeciency laundry soap. Spray it on ,give it a little rub with the toothbrush and hose it offwith water. This is the best degreaser ever. Try it you wont be dissapointed.
And...If you dont like the way it works on the greasy bits of the bike you can always wash your clothes with it!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 AM

I cleaned the rear sprocket and when I removed the front cover for the smaller sprocket.... surprise surprise

it looks like the previous owner never took the time, well with a little elbow grease and kerasene I was able to wash it off completely!!! Thank u all forthe advice!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM

I used Kero to clean and I used 80w-90 gear oil to lube up my chain on my 4i. I just used SuperTech gear oil I got at wal-mart...worked great....however...when I got a white jacket...i started getting spots on my jacket from the chain throwing the oil/dirt. So I cleaned the chain off the kero. wiped it down real nice with a dry rag and then started using this stuff...WORKS GREAT...need to spray it on a little more often but works great...no more spots on my jacket and the chain stays cleaner much longer....had 16k miles on my last chain when I sold the bike....

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

"The spray comes out relatively clear and, strange as it may sound, smells to me exactly like a cross between WD-40 and coconut, if you can imagine. It's very liquid as it comes out, but within seconds the liquid evaporates, leaving a waxy, slippery feeling residue that is supposed to repel water and last a long time.
As I mentioned, DuPont makes some incredible products, so I have no doubt their claims are tested and true. The label does say that the product is a patented blend of "wax based lubricant", and it is designed to go on wet to penetrate and then to dry and leave the lubricating film. DuPont also claims that it will not attract dirt and grime, which is key to long chain life.
This is a very interesting product, seemingly perfect for lubricating motorcycle chains. We noticed no residue, and since it dries soon after it's applied, there's nothing to fling off the chain and all over the back of the bike.
The May 2005 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News ran a short article on DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant and they also raved about it. So next time you're in the local hardware store or bicycle shop, grab a can and check it out. I think it's just become my favorite chain lube."

LOWES sells it...it's about $5 a can.

Quick Reply: Chain maintenance questions