General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What mods are legal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mods are legal?

Really neat pix of mods on this site... now I've got mod envy How can I find out if a particular mod is DOT legal in NJ?

Would love to do some simple mods like replacing turn signals- especially since the rears are being pushed around by my Givi rack. This product that has integrated running, braking and turning lights

Amazon.com: Smoke LED Stop Brake Tail Plate Light Taillight Turn Signal Blinkers For Honda CBR 600 F3 F4i 600RR 929 954 1000 RR 1000RR Shadow 600 750 1100 VTX 1300 1800 Goldwing Gold Wing GL 1200 1500 1800: Automotive

Suggestions and how-to's are appreciated. I've got a '97 CBR F3.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:27 PM

Tail Brake Turn Light 1997-1998 HONDA CBR 600 F3 SMOKE | eBay

This is the tail light I personally have on my '98 F3. As far as I know, as long as it has the DOT stamp on it, it's legal in most all states. It's got integrated turn signals, so you can lose those ugly ones. It lights up extremely bright, and looks great

Old 09-06-2011, 06:57 AM

as long as it lights up red when you brake its legal. and google will answer any questions you have about anything

Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Canada Intergrated turn signals are not legal due to the signals have to be a certain distance apart in which the intergrated signals don't meet the requirement.

That could be why they are not legal.

"At or near the rear - 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 230 mm (9 inches). Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 100 mm (4 inches), when a single stop and tail lamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red. "
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...htm#Table%20IV

Chances of getting a ticket are very slim though

Old 09-06-2011, 07:31 AM

Thanks for your feedback

Originally Posted by JamesTSi
As far as I know, as long as it has the DOT stamp on it, it's legal in most all states.
The product listing says:
Not DOT approved. For off road use only. Laws concerning this product vary from state/province to state/province

But NJ doesn't even do motorcycle inspections anymore - so I guess it doesn't matter here? My guess is the manufacturer didn't bother to get DOT approval cause it's costly- but there are other OEM accessories on newer bikes that are DOT approved and work the same way- does that make sense?

James- I checked out ur pic- saw you did the fronts too. They looked kewl. Which ones did u get? Did you also have to put in a load resistor if so did it come with? The ones I am looking at for the front say: "you will need a load resistor to bring the flash rate down to normal"

Amazon.com: honda CBR 600RR 1000RR 600 F3 F4 F4i FLUSH TURN SIGNALS: Automotive

Old 09-06-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by danroonie
Did you also have to put in a load resistor if so did it come with? The ones I am looking at for the front say: "you will need a load resistor to bring the flash rate down to normal"
This stickie is helpful assuming this works the same way on the F3:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...-inputs-84998/

Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 AM

I ended up ordering a solid state flasher instead of using load resistors. It plugs in place of the stock flasher and blinks at the same rate regardless of what kind of bulbs are hooked to it. LED Flasher Unit LF1-S-FLAT Specifications

As far as the front flush mounts go, I bought mine from Cycle Gear, I forget the brand, but they are also LED. They don't seem all that bright though, so I'm not sure if I am going to keep them or not

Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 AM

I ended up ordering a solid state flasher instead of using load resistors. It plugs in place of the stock flasher and blinks at the same rate regardless of what kind of bulbs are hooked to it. LED Flasher Unit LF1-S-FLAT Specifications
Do I need one or two of these?

As far as the front flush mounts go, I bought mine from Cycle Gear, I forget the brand, but they are also LED. They don't seem all that bright though, so I'm not sure if I am going to keep them or not
Which new ones are you considering? I have looked all over for clear ones that will fit the F3 and I can only find the LED flushmounts i linked to earlier. I hope they are bright enough.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Which new ones are you considering? I have looked all over for clear ones that will fit the F3 and I can only find the LED flushmounts i linked to earlier. I hope they are bright enough.
HighTechSpeed - motorcycle high technology

From what I remember, the F3, F4, F4i, and most of the early 2000's Hondas use the same style of front flushmount

Old 09-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do I need one or two of these?
You just need one to replace the one stock flasher relay.

Quick Reply: What mods are legal?