General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Have I Done

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006 | 06:24 PM
Default What Have I Done

Hey guys, I tried to syncronize my carbs on my 94 F2 and now it sounds a little louder and when i am stopped if i turn the throttle at all away from me (counterclockwise) it looses RPM's and i havnt killed it but i think it would die if i held it there. Also trying to accelerate the RPM's drop from about 2500 to 1500 and if i dont give it plenty of gas it acts like it wants to die. I am taking it to the shop this thursday. But I was hoping someone could tell me what i did and what I should tell the guys at the shop I want fixed, I really dont want to give them my bike and say fix it because i dont have much money to get all the stuff they think i should fix fixed. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Old 10-24-2006 | 06:58 PM
Default RE: What Have I Done

Not 100% sure, but it kind of sounds like you adjusted your carbs without the throttle being fully returned to the zero point - not fully closed. Just my guess.

Old 10-25-2006 | 12:10 AM

Yep, either the throttle cables are too tight, of the the throttle wasn't fully closed.

Old 10-25-2006 | 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: ThisisMickey

Hey guys, I tried to syncronize my carbs on my 94 F2 and now it sounds a little louder and when i am stopped if i turn the throttle at all away from me (counterclockwise) it looses RPM's and i havnt killed it but i think it would die if i held it there. Also trying to accelerate the RPM's drop from about 2500 to 1500 and if i dont give it plenty of gas it acts like it wants to die. I am taking it to the shop this thursday. But I was hoping someone could tell me what i did and what I should tell the guys at the shop I want fixed, I really dont want to give them my bike and say fix it because i dont have much money to get all the stuff they think i should fix fixed. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

How did you sync' your carb's

Old 10-25-2006 | 02:22 PM

I took off the seat and raised the gas tank, without disconnecting it and while it was running turned the screw between the 2 carbs on the left and tried to listen for a better sound, but it only seemed to change the rpm speed. then i did the same to the right side, except i think i stretched the tank tubes too far and had a little bit of gas leaking. i tried to make sure the tubes were tight and put it back. I guess i tried to turn a screw that was not the screw that attaches the rpm adjuster, and so now it is comletely loose and i cant adjust it. I would take it apart again but those screws are really hard to get 2 and i want to make sure i can ride it to the dealer.

Old 10-25-2006 | 04:38 PM

ouch, multiple carbs can be tricky, good luck though.

Old 10-25-2006 | 04:40 PM
Err

i thought you needed some sort of vaccum tool to sync carbs??

Old 10-25-2006 | 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: ThisisMickey

I took off the seat and raised the gas tank, without disconnecting it and while it was running turned the screw between the 2 carbs on the left and tried to listen for a better sound, but it only seemed to change the rpm speed. then i did the same to the right side, ...
Mickey, I'm not trying to sound condescending here but it sounds like you have absolutely no clue on how to sync carbs. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if there is more to this that you haven't included.

Firstly, you don't sync carbs by "listening for a better sound". The synchronization of carbs means that you adjust the vacuum pressure of all carbs so that they are the same (or at least within spec). How do you "listen" for a difference in vacuum pressure between cylinders?????????????

Your carb sync will go something very similar to this: http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/248431.aspx
Yes, that's link is for throttle bodies (fuel injection) but throttle bodies aren't very different from carburetors in this regard.

Now assuming you left out the part where you are indeed using a set of vacuum gauges, make sure of the following:
- your idle adjustment is working properly so that you can set the idle to the right level when sync'ing
- you sync when the engine is WARM!!!!
- you sync in reference to the base cylinder (usually this is#3 for CBRs)

The sync itself should only take a few minutes to do (not including time to strip the bike). If you don't know what you're doing, take it to someone who does. Or at least get the service manual and understand what you need to do.

good luck!

Old 10-25-2006 | 10:50 PM

Please for the sake of your bike.... take it to a dealer and have them fix it.....please.

Fish is absloutely right, if you don't have the proper tools, let alone know how to use them... well I'll just stop there.

Old 10-26-2006 | 12:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Err

i thought you needed some sort of vaccum tool to sync carbs??
yup. you need that tool, I think its a manomometer, or something like that, to measure the vacuum on all 4 cylinders at the carbs. if you dont have that, synching carbs isnt something you should try doing because all you'll succeed in is making a royal mess of it.