General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006 | 02:02 AM
Default What to do?

Hey guys, It has been nearly 7 months since I have ridden my CBR. I have deployed to Iraq for that time period and will not return until October. My wife has been starting my bike twice a week and I need to know if that is ok or what you guys think I need to do with the bike when I get back, I know for sure change the oil, but what else would you recomend me to do with it. Thanks

Old 06-10-2006 | 07:27 AM
Default RE: What to do?

I'd suggest asking her to add some fresh gas to the tank, or fuel stabilizer. Or, just wait until you get back then flush out the old gas and fill up with fresh 92/93 octane. Lube the cahin, check rubber seals such as forks, put it up on stands and give the wheels a spin to check the bearings. You might also need to hook the battery up to a trickle charger too, just starting it and idling won't give it much charge, if any. If you feel comforable, as does she, you might ask her to hop on it and roll it back and forth a few feet once a week to make sure grease gets distributed in the wheel bearings and also gently squeeze both the front a rear brake while doing so to push brake fluid around so the calipers don't seize up.
Be safe over there.

Old 06-10-2006 | 07:34 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Default RE: What to do?

I agree. If you wife is fairly familiar with bikes you might consider letting her run it up and down the driveway. Of course if she's like my wife (read: motorcycle impaired (read: bike retarded)) then that ain't an option. Definitely have her buy some sta-bil to keep the gas from varnishing anything and start it like she's been doing. When you get back change the oil (like you said) and check all the stuff dwhite said to and ya should be riding in no time.

Good luck over dude -- you guys are the greatest and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the job you do. Thanks!