General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what bearing should i use??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what bearing should i use??

Hello guyz.

now im trying to change the connecting rod bearings/ cranck shaft bearings... fo my bike..

its a cbr900rr my mechanic said its time to change it.. so im buying th espares here:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=146&B=14

put i see there are some "colors" meassurements of diferent bearings.. i saw the ones i have says 0.25 but honestly i dont know what bearing should i put now.. what color?

any help?, can i just buy a mid size one?

thanks!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 PM

Call the dealership and tell them what year your bike is and tell them you need to order a set of bearings. get a quote and the part numbers. Once you have that info, you can buy them anywhere. But, I would only install factory replacements. There are certain items that quality really doesn't matter all that much, this is not one of those items.

the thing to also consider. Some bikes actually use two different bearings on the crankshaft. The inners are sometimes smaller than the outers by a few thousands and its very important to not get them mixed.

Best bet is to get a service manual with a parts list.

how does your mechanic know its time to change them? I only ask because if a person knows that, they should also know what the proper bearings are, plus the installation process. I would be a bit weary as to wether the mechanic knows whats going on. The tollerances on bikes is far greater than on the average automobile, partially due to the high rpms these engines see. Make sure everything is put back within spec, so a service manual is a must.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Thumbs up

thanks for your reply justasquid.

Se heres the thing.-

1.- i live in a place where there isnt a good trained Honda "dealerships" the dont know s*ht bout this.

2.- I asked in bikebandit but the only thing they told me is... ask your mechanic and Measure it the mechanic and tell us that measure to reccomend you waht to put..

3.-My mechanic knew is time to change it because the engine was Tacking (tac tac tac) and after putting the engine down we saw some worn on the beraing rods.

4.- he knows the bearings are worn but he donest know **** either abut "color " spares...

5.- i do have the manul of the bike but i cant really tell what this mean..

or what should i measure..

SO HERES THE CHART:

Name:  wtf-1.jpg
Views: 5456
Size:  35.5 KB

ANY one can give me a hint or a clue?

Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 PM

maybe Im reading the chart wrong, but isnt that chart just simply saying whatever the letters on your crank rod and pins are, thats the color bearing you need?

For example, if your connecting rod has a number 2 on it, and your pin has a B on it, then you need the C(brown) bearing.

If there arent any stamps on either part. Measure the Inside diameter of the connecting rod. Whatever range that falls into, thats the number you assign it. Do the same for the pin, but this time measure the outside Diameter, whatever range that falls into, thats the letter you assign it. Then, you can use the chart to match up the bearing you need. Keep in mind, they may not all be the same. You may have to match each one. Also, you should keep the rods in the same place. Don't interchange them. the last thing you want is to unballance the rotating assembly.

the only real issue I see is being able to measure withint that tollerance. Most micrometers are only + or - .001". Your going to need something that can read + or - .00005".

Last edited by justasquid; 09-01-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:38 PM

Maybe if your engine sound toc toc toc , you should remplace by a new crankshaft and rods ,

Old 11-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

2009...... Just saying.