General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird rattling sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: weird rattling sound

Give the chain a good cleaning and lube, that should help with the chain rattle quite abit.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:22 PM

I have a 2000 929 and I get a wierd rattling sound right about 4800 to 5500 rpm, then its gone. The lower and upper rpms work and sound great. Any ideas? Its not the chain or any loose nuts and bolts ( I checked them all thoroughly).

Old 06-18-2005, 12:46 AM

I myself have no idea what it is. My problem is definetly in engine related though. I can hear it coming from both sides of the bike when i lean down to listen. Im taking it in (as soon as I get my cars transmission overhauled) to the dealership to see what they say. I'll post more when I get it back from them.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:21 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At certain RPM's you may notice a vibration only to have it go away with a couple 100 more RPMs. These are normal for most bikes and are harmonic in nature. There's absolutely nothing a dealer can do for you except take your money. Remember, these bikes can all be taken to a track and thrashed and perform all day long -- unlike 95% of cars on the road that are built for comfort. I'd only take the bike to be checked out if you notice a noise that you know isn't right or the vibration gets worse with speed or higher RPMs.

Old 06-18-2005, 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: iroc_dis

how can i fix this camchain tensioner?
It needs to be replaced, either with the O.E.M. one or an aftermarket manual camchain tensioner. I would reccomend the aftermarket one, the Honda ones seem to keep failing over and over again. We can get you on here at Apex for only around $40 for most manual tensioners

Old 06-18-2005, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

At certain RPM's you may notice a vibration only to have it go away with a couple 100 more RPMs. These are normal for most bikes and are harmonic in nature. There's absolutely nothing a dealer can do for you except take your money. Remember, these bikes can all be taken to a track and thrashed and perform all day long -- unlike 95% of cars on the road that are built for comfort. I'd only take the bike to be checked out if you notice a noise that you know isn't right or the vibration gets worse with speed or higher RPMs.
Well, its definetly not a vibration and it only happens at those certain RPMs. But when you hear it, its sooo loud and irritating that you think everyone within a block is going to hear it and look at you funny. It almost sounds like those kids that have the playing cards stuck in the wheels of their pedal bikes, know what i mean?

Old 06-18-2005, 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: addict

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

Well, its definetly not a vibration and it only happens at those certain RPMs. But when you hear it, its sooo loud and irritating that you think everyone within a block is going to hear it and look at you funny. It almost sounds like those kids that have the playing cards stuck in the wheels of their pedal bikes, know what i mean?

whoah, hold the band-wagon. My bike ('03 CBR 600 RR) has been doing this too, at certain rpms I can hear it better, but its there almost the whole time. It sounds a lot like an old car that is semi-out of oil. I just tried overfilling my oil (tell me I did bad :S) and it seemed like it helped a little bit... I got to thinking and when I got the bike (6,250 miles) it wasnt this loud. the stealership told me the 6,000 service had just been done and they took awhile fooling around w/ the coolant system (coolant hose later came off, lol the main one on the left side hahahah because they forgot to clamp it... doh) and the oil and stuff. Anyways... my question is... could it be because of old oil? cause changing the oil would be a snap, specially if I know its going to get rid of my anoying sound... mine doesnt sound out of place, it just sounds kinda low on oil, but its definately not. Im hoping maybe yours is the same addict?? to go w/ my question... any pushes/prods towards a good oil filter for this bike? and is valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil (NEW! High temperature performance, superior wet clutch protection... sae 10w40) gonna get the job done?

Old 06-18-2005, 11:42 PM

My CBR1000RR was making noises too, turns out it was the header bolts needed retorqued and it went away

Old 06-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% its your cam chain tensioners, the o.e. ones are known to give up at around 5k miles on cbr6's. Get it replaced with an o.e. or manual one. Its not expensive and you should be able to fit it yourself if your anyway competent with a spanner.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:22 PM

My 93 just started making that noise yesterday when i was riding i thought it might be the cam chain, its more noticeable from the right side on the engine but still only happens at about 5500 to 7500rpm i juust replaced my oil about 3 weeks ago and im was planning on drianing my coolant and replacing that too,

i was wondering for this problem are you guys talking about replacing the chain or the tensiorer or both

Quick Reply: weird rattling sound