General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using the forums to solve your problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Using the forums to solve your problems

It came up today in a post, that the opinion I gave, wasn't the best/correct answer. Dang it, I hate it when that happens. I like being the good guy.

Generally, I think I post some pretty sound advice, or I don't post at all.

Basically, I made a general statement on bar-end removal (i.e. drilling press fits), when the particular app has a spring retention under the throttle-tube body.

It started me thinking.

Each time I post, I try to be clear, that the issue being addressed is my personal take on the situation (based on my experience and research knowledge of manuals, fiche online, etc.). I do make some mistakes on reading the problem and solutions correctly (as do we all, I believe).

I thought I would just point out the importance of cross-referencing several opinions/advice before embarking on any job on your own ride.

Obviously, even well-intentioned folks (which I think I am) screw up and could make things more difficult/worse than you started out. So ask, check out other resources, and then decide what YOUR answer should be for YOUR issue.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, Ern

Old 06-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
...I thought I would just point out the importance of cross-referencing several opinions/advice before embarking on any job on your own ride.
+1

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Obviously, even well-intentioned folks (which I think I am) screw up and could make things more difficult/worse than you started out. So ask, check out other resources, and then decide what YOUR answer should be for YOUR issue.
Yep, you gotta do your due diligence when you're going to attempt a repair on your own. Advice, although well-intentioned, can be incomplete or incorrect. Referencing factory shop manuals & other technical sources is always recommended.

Folks def need to understand that the advice they receive here is worth exactly what they pay for it. ;-) That's not to say that its not worth asking & getting feedback...but rather that its to be taken w/a grain of salt in their own research process.

That being said, there are many knowledgeable people here. A great majority of the time, their opinions & recommendations are correct & extremely helpful. A great thing about this forum is the membership's willingness to help others. I applaud that & I applaud your helpful spirit. More members should be like that.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

I don't know that I could have put it any better than these two.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well put! people also need to realize that every bike is different and just because "Fix X" worked for him does not grantee "Fix X" will work for you even when it appears to be the same problem.. But its "usually" a good place to start