General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updates

So I'm now 2 for 2 lol. I got both bikes up and running again. My 900rr had fouled/old plugs, I dropped new ngk's in and it fired right up today!!! So exciting lol. Now I believe I need to look into getting both bikes' carbs adjusted/sync'd. Is it hard to do yourself? Or should I just take it somewhere? Would it be necessary to jet a bike that only has a slip-on exhaust?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:39 AM

Its not hard to sync them if you have the tools. If you dont have the tools, its impossible to sync them correctly. taking them in might be the only thing to do. But, if you are going to have the bikes for awhile, it might not be a bad idea to purchase a sync tool. I bought one from ebay for 100 bucks and it worked out great. Its the mercury style one with 4 indivual lines. I would stay clear of any of the gauge style ones. Guage one are good, but only the really expensive ones. the cheap ones are just not close enough to each other to be accurate. The mercury ones all pull from the same pool of mecury so they are pretty accurate. I think they are now sold with transmission fluid or something other than mercury though, but either way, the same concept is there. Since you have two bikes, I would buy a tool and do it myself.

If you do buy a tool, it only takes about half an hour to sync them. Your just plugging the hoses into the vaccum ports and then making adjustments on your carbs to sync them.

But, if your not having any running issues, especially at idle, you probably wont really need to sync them.

I wouldnt rejet a bike that only has a slip on. If you have any flat spots or hesitation, a jet kit can help, but its not needed. And, it would be hard to tell if the pipe was causing any of it unless you installed the pipe and then noticed a change. For the most part, a slip-on doesnt require a jetting change.

This is the style tool I have.

Attached Thumbnails Updates-08-0411.jpg  
Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 PM

My idle is somewhat ok on the 900rr lol. The 600f2 if you pull the choke back to start it, it will rev and stay at 4k lol and idle is a little rough, but not bad enough for it not to drive and have power when you need it. I'll look on ebay for the sync tool, n hopefully that'll help out either way. I plan on keeping mine for a long time, my brother probably will too but his will be in georgia lol (Army)