CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   undertail exhaust for f4?(what does a muffler do?) (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/undertail-exhaust-f4-what-does-muffler-do-104263/)

leo_black_label 12-24-2009 04:36 PM

undertail exhaust for f4?(what does a muffler do?)

i like the undertail exhaust on new rr.s -
ive seen em cheap on ebay and am wondering how different they are functionally than my f4? if theyre both 600's could i just run it as is?
my physical fabrication skillz are good and i know it needs room to fit around/through the swingarm, im wondering about the tuning. is it gonna have very different back pressure. are there baffles or a stepdown in size or anything on the 600 rr?
also what is the difference performance wise of running a straight short pipe w. no muffler? what mech. bennefit am i getting from my two brothers slip on?(other than cool sound?)
PLEASE HELP and dont laugh .
or laugh but help anyway?
why is my muffler there?
THANKYOU ALL !!

TattooguyF4i 12-25-2009 05:03 PM

yeah I was wonder the same thing.........

:icon_hyper:Hey, i have a 01 f4i 600 and wondered the same thing. When i did a lil bit of searching. I couldnt come up with any good leads myself....:icon_shrug:

lil_schmitty01 12-25-2009 07:15 PM

I don't think a side mount and a undertail mount will have much difference HP wise. I would not recommend straight piping with a turndown as you will lose alot of back pressure and bottom end power.

leo_black_label 12-26-2009 01:37 AM

No baffles or stepdown??!

I thought the same thing about the back pressure , but when i took off my 2bros. muffler i saw straight through to the other end.
I always thought mufflers were for sound damping but REALLY they were for this back-pressure effect that assists the return stroke (4th stroke?) of the piston.

ive just got an open straight pipe w. little holes going to the wadding chamber around it.

so WHERES THE COMPRESSION EFFECT COMING FROM??
this is so basic i feel like im overlooking something right in front of me...
thanks for your patience and help!

leo_black_label 12-27-2009 03:41 PM

HELP ME OUT HERE??
nobody?

PlayfulGod 12-27-2009 07:21 PM

Just look at a RR. The front of the swingarm is a tad narrower for pipe clearance (I have a rr swingarm om my F4). So you could do the sa swap n solve that issue. after that it will be a complete custom since the undertail, battery tray etc will need to be all reworked to 1. allow the exhaust to fit under the tail, 2. heat shielding so not to burn your or your passengers gentiles off. And then you have the tail light n signals to dealt with!!!

regener8ed 12-27-2009 07:29 PM

seems like this question comes up pretty often - do a forum search and there should be a rich harvest. the short and easy answer is: save yourself some time, money and aggravation and just buy an rr.

PlayfulGod 12-27-2009 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by regener8ed (Post 868762)
seems like this question comes up pretty often - do a forum search and there should be a rich harvest. the short and easy answer is: save yourself some time, money and aggravation and just buy an rr.

oh oh, is that your bike in your sig??? Is it a photochop or what?

leo_black_label 12-27-2009 11:03 PM

Let me try to refocus my inquiry!
Im afraid i let this go too far the wrong way!-
I know an undertail CANversion is a ridiculous amount of work for a fairly frivolous outcome. i can handle the fab work. i usedto have a job build boat mufflers as big as closets and fueltanks you could park a car in (exept for they were airtight) i love wasting time with loud tools! ( ohh.. i usedto have a job... .. anyway!-)

WHAT im REALLY trying to find out is what an exhaust DOES if theres just a straight shot through to the outlet? With no baffles or stepdown/cone is it really helping the backpressure on the exhaust?
i know the sound is better... but...

vangill 01-02-2010 12:48 AM

its the sound, and it does help with backpressure, it doesnt look like it, but it does. try running without one then put it back on. youll notice the low end will change. ig you couldnt see through the exhaust its would make it pretty hard on the engine, especially at 13000 rpms. if you want to do an undertail you we need to do the rr swingarm swap so you could run the exahsut through it, on the f4 it would have to be run on the outside. you could run duals tho. do a custom mid and have it run on the outside of both sides, kinda like a 919-i use that as an example of how you could mount the pipes under the seat. that could actaully look good
no matter what if you like it-its awesome:icon_bike: