General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signal accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal accident

earlier today i was installing a flushmount signal on my 2000 honda cbr 600 when i saw a small spark. i had touched the copper wires from the signal wire harness from the bike to the turn signal wires and it sparked. i think it was cause i accidentally left the ignition on. now my tailight, left signal, horn and my guages (rpms, trip meter, speedo) wont work. i did replace 2 10 amp fuses located around the battery but still these parts dont work. i checked one of the main fuses (its a 30 amp) that was located around the battery and it was fine. any ideas guys?

Old 10-11-2008, 03:33 AM
Default RE: turn signal accident

I think you're on an F4, just based on your previous posts. I have the 02 F4i which could possibly have the same wiring set up. The only thing that i can think of that would effect all of those at the same time with good fuses (assuming you've checked them all and are all good) is the green ground wire. It is connected through all the signals, headlights, taillights, gauges etc. You may have burnt up the ground wire somewhere along the line. I am by no means a mechanic. I just have spent a long time rewiring everything in the front end of my bike and i know how important that little green wire is. Hope you find it, they definately are a pain in the butt.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:59 AM

you must have another fuse somewhere blown. I doubt you would have fried and wires from just a spark. wires usually take some time to fry and since you popped a couple of fuses, its probably another fuse somewhere. Also, make sure the fuses you replaced are connected. I've seen the metal clips that are inside the casing pop out. So, you replace your fuse into the casing, but the clip isnt making contact. I would pull the fuses back out and make sure the clips are still seated in the case.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:22 AM

yeah i tried removing the fuses again and placing them back in again making sure their fully seated. is there any way that i could have messed up something big like the stator/rectifier?

Old 10-11-2008, 12:03 PM

If the fuses aren't solving the problem, what I would do is trace back the harness to all of the connection points and look for fried connection pins along the way. If that search turns up empty, my 2nd option would be to take it to the dealer and have them hook up a test harness to the ECU to see if there is a lack of voltage anywhere.

I find it hard to believe that a fuse wasn't blown. Weird! Electrical problems are the worst kind. I hate em!! [:@]

Old 10-11-2008, 09:49 PM

yeah there was a fuse blown. its a 10 amp thats located in a small fuse box around my battery. i think its the one that controls the instruments and tailight/signals. i did notice that when i turned the key on after installing a new fuse, that my instruments came on for a sec then i heard a small pop. sure enough, i looked down and that little 10 amp fuse was blown again. maybe this happened because yesterday i was trying to install a front turn signal and i didnt get it installed(i had to drill a hole into the signal plate in order for it to work, didnt have the right drill bit).i ended up leaving wires hanging from the front fairing. could this be it?

Old 10-12-2008, 12:17 AM

if your wires were making contact when you turned on your ignition, then yes, that would be the reason your fuse blew again. I seriously doubt your rectifier or stator would have been hurt. thats the reason for fuses. they blow before anything else does. Not only that, your bike wasnt running so the chances of your rectifier or stator even being involved are pretty slim.

If it keeps blowing, you have a crossed wire somewhere. Make sure you hooked up the blinker correctly... most aftermarket blinker only use two wires, not all three.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:05 PM

hey thanks for all the help guys. i fixed the problem. problem was i left my signal harness wires hanging, the ones that are attached on the bike.the ends were spliced and i twisted the copper together. i undid the copper wires so they wouldnt touch each other after installing a fuse and PRESTO! this worked. i guess with electrical stuff, it has to have a source to transfer the power to (like my turn signal) and if it doesnt i guess the power works against itself. this is proably why when i installed a new fuse the guages would come on for a split second then pop goes the fuse. thanks a lot guys, damn i need tosign up forthatmotorcycle course penn foster advertises in the mail!

Old 10-13-2008, 05:58 AM

did you have a hot and a ground wrapped together?