General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbocharging

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbocharging

been away for far too long, been enjoying the bike too much and far too much work( the real world type lol) but has anyone turbo'd a cbr 600 engine? thinking about it when i get another engine to build. thinking about using a mini cooper deisel turbo. anyone got any advice, tips etc.
jeff

Old 04-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a lot of work to build your own turbo setup. Getting it to run right on a home built system will take a LOT of patience, time, and money.

And I think you'll be upset with the lack of performance you'll get back from all the time, money, and effort. If you don't modify the internals, you'll have to keep the boost really low - and on 600cc, it'll mean a really small amount of power. I don't even think you'd make what older 1000s put down...

And let's not forget that there is very little aftermarket support (engine wise) for any 600, so if you were to modify the engine to take more boost - it's going to be really, really expensive.

But, who am I to say no. Go for it if you want to! If you're like me and you need to tinker, that'd keep you busy for a while.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Whilst I echo Conrice's arguments, there's nothing quite like a Quixotic tilt at supercharged windmills....

And it's been done

No pictures of the grenade though and there does seem to be a lot of wheel lofting sky seen. Roll-on at higher revs is quite something.

Cheers, SB

Old 04-24-2017, 11:59 AM

If you are UK based then check out Big CC Racing - these guys have been super/turbo/nitrous charging bikes for years and are well known for their turbo charged Busas.

They would be a good source of advice, parts and expertise if you want to go down the turbo route.

Home - Big CC Race Shop

Old 04-25-2017, 01:14 PM

yeah, i'm uk based. forgot all about bigcc. lol might drop them an email. was only thinking about it as a giggle, get a spare engine and use that. would be interesting to see how it compareswith my engine, seeing as mine is an ex race bike. and i get to have a turbo hanging off the front of the engine, while always looks cool.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:17 PM

lol - yeah - with a turbo stuck on you will definitely stand out from the crowd

Old 05-02-2017, 03:08 PM

just hope the turbo engine is faster than the one i have now.and hopefully a bit more user friendly. the race engine is a little peaky lol

Old 05-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How much does your race engine make?

Old 05-03-2017, 02:02 PM

havent had it on the dyno yet. bought the bike for silly low money, but have had it to 165 on my fave bit of road. not sure what an f2 should be doing, but some of they guys that have had the same bike say theirs aren't as quick.but like i said she is a little bit all or nothing. riding in town can be fun . lol

Old 05-03-2017, 02:09 PM

dont know where you are conrice, but i can getan engine to play with for about £250. going to tear it down aanyway. way i see it, have a play and turbo a spare engine, andwhen is pops, because i fully expect it to. i can put my good one in.never built a turbo engine before. will be a giggle. might even try water injection too.
jeff