General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny knock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny knock?

I tried to post this in the wrong section already. so heres the story... I bought this CBR and wont see it till i go home on leave in a few days. the guy says he was cruising through town when the chain comes off and binds up, locking the rear wheel. I guess it did the same to the transmission. Anyway, there is a knock that goes way when you pull the clutch lever. It runs fine and drives, there is just a knocking sound. He said he didn't find anything wrong with the clutch and suspects something in the transmission... I dont now how knowledgable this guy is. and I am wondering if anyone has had similar experience??? any Ideas on where i should start looking at this thing?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 PM

Check the cam chain tensioner

Old 05-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CCT wouldn't be affected by clutch lever operation.

Likely there's something awry in the transmission. Just too many moving parts to tell - it light have just sheared a tooth off, or might be a fork that's bent - just won't know til you at least drop the pan and look around.

As for as where to start - check the obvious stuff - pull the rear wheel out, and check for any weird damage from slinging the chain. I'd pull the drivehub, clean it up good and inspect it for cracks or other damage. Check the cush drive bumpers , make sure they're all intact, check the wheel where the drive hub inserts.

assuming a new chain was put on - inspect each link in it, make sure nothing is bound up. Make sure the master link is properly riveted. If there's a clip-style master link - throw it away and have someone put a rivet style in - apparently this bike has already had one chain failure, doesn't need another.

Pull the chain off the front sprocket. With the bike in neuteral, spin the sprocket around - do you feel anything weird?

Beyond that, you could even crank the bike up and run the bike through the gears with the chain off to see if it makes noise with no load on it.

Sounds like you're going to be looking at pulling the motor out and doing some transmission work though.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 PM

how loud bike the knock may just b the clutch basket

Old 05-05-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by elevnbravo
I tried to post this in the wrong section already. so heres the story... I bought this CBR
which CBR? lol

Old 05-06-2011, 01:07 AM

oh duh, It is a 97 600 f3. how much does a used trans cost?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by elevnbravo
oh duh, It is a 97 600 f3. how much does a used trans cost?
thanks, it is good for us to know. especially since I also had a 97 F3 and she gave me many problems.

adrenal might be right but replace the CCT anyways. Search for F3 CCT on the forums and there is a very simple DIY guide to change it. A lot of F3 owners complain about the knocking and usually the CCT change fixes it. But I get the feeling it might not be the case for you since your chain flew off and effed your tranny.

Sorry I could not help more, make sure you ask IDODIRT.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:26 AM

wow. Thanks for all the input. I suspect I will be here with any questions about my bike. Anyone in MT?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:41 AM

Post a video of the sound, would help alot.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh - yeah - you can find complete F3 trans gear packs relatively cheap. Between $50-$150 on ebay all day long. Usually these are offered by breakers that know what worn gear dogs look like, and can provide you pictures if you wanted. (F2 trans might be the same - F2/F3 are virtually the same bike - F3 had some updates to the motor/suspension - but the frames are the same.)

If nothing else you can look em up to get a good look at what your transmission should look like before you inspect the one that's actually in your bike's motor.

The bad news is that for a replacement you'll have to remove the motor and split the case open. There's several around here that are experienced at that sort of thing and can help you out if you want to tackle it yourself.

Quick Reply: Tranny knock?