General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny knock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny knock?

OK. so I bought this CBR and I wont see it for another week and a half, but this is the story I got. the guy was cruising along when the chain came off. Apparrently the loose chain bound up and this locked up the rear wheel. Now there is a knock that goes away when when you pull the clutch lever. it runs fine and drives, there is just this knock. He said they didn't find anything wrong with the clutch and suspects something in the transmission, but I do not know how knowledgable the guy is. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar. ?????

Old 05-05-2011, 05:37 PM

if it goes away when you pull in the clutch, it could just be one of the bearings in the clutch itself. but you won't know until you get the bike and inspect it. Plus, it all depends on how they inspected everything. You can't simply look at it and see if its bad. Things have to be mic'd and measured properly to know if everything is within tolerance.

what bike is it? If its an F3, they tend to make some noise anyway. If its an F3, I would lean towards one of the clutch bearings being damaged in the incident, or just worn out. either way, its going to be very hard to diagnosis the issue.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 PM

ok there were two different senarios in your story, first you said the chain came off then the next sentencs you said it bound up from bein to loose and locked up the rear wheel? if the tranny was engaged and locked up the rear wheel is obviously not good for the tranny but if it still runs and drived ok just has that noise that seems to be dependant on the clutch then that stress from the chain locking up the tire and pressure on the trans prob messed up a bearing in the clutch like squid said above. prob wouldnt be a bad idea just to get a whole new clutch with bearings and everything if you can swing it. and its not super common unless you dont service and take care of you bike to break the chain but i have seen it happen usually nothing happens unless you crank on the throttle and the tranny is spin'n free with nothin to turn, can shear some teeth that way, but what you got sounds like a throw out bearing problem in the clutch

Last edited by stretch_the_apex; 05-05-2011 at 07:31 PM.