General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much aftermarket...too much wiring...too much crap!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much aftermarket...too much wiring...too much crap!

Hi everyone,

I bought a CBR600F4i (2002) last August from Road Track and Trail in Wisconsin, got it delivered to Virginia and have been riding it since. Unfortunately, the bike didn't pass State of Virginia inspection because one of the previous four owners put aftermarket turn signals on the front (non-DOT), some sort of red rope light strip as the rear turn signals, and disabled (and I guess threw away) the license plate light.

So needing to get it in inspection ready status for both Virginia AND the military, I installed OEM turn signals on the front and back...working great...everything seemed to be fine. Then I take it back to the shop, they say "you need a license plate light"...fine, I buy one of those and install it. But to do so, I have to hook it up to the running tail light.

Unfortunately, there are so many f****** wires back there, literally 14 of them (and that's NOT counting the turn signal wires)...it takes me about two hours to figure out what is what. You would think it would be simple...two wires for each turn signal, and 3 for each tail light (running, brake, and ground). So, 14 wires, all linked together for something, I have no idea why. By the time I "THINK" I figured everything out for the plate light...and I've got the plate light working, I think I'm smooth sailing. I had to splice the tail light wire to power both the tail light and the plate light. So as I was messing around with it trying to get it all to work....then suddenly...

My whole battery/bike died in the process. Somehow, and that's what I'm wondering here...I get NO power whatsoever. (It's not like when I ran out my battery and had to bump start it--I actually still had SOME power there). Here I have nothing...no lights, no starter, no FI...

So, now I'm thinking, what the hell did I do...and how do I un-*** this whole thing.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

You've most likely popped the main 30A fuse. It's located on the Start Relay under a cover. That fuse supplies power to all the other fuses. Its located next to the battery.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:05 PM

Thanks I'll check that out in the morning. 5 hours of bike work and I'm done for the day. Much appreciated

Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 AM

So the problem hasn't gone away:

Pulled the seat off and checked all the fuses, everything looks fine by visual inspection (nothing burned out/etc), although I don't have a fuse tester, so I can only be 99% sure.

So, as of this morning, still no power whatsoever. Not even a glimmer...

The question now is...what do I do? I'm going to buy a multimeter right now and see if that helps.

Other suggestions are still appreciated.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Did you check ALL of the fuses? The main fuse is not in the fuse box, its under its own cover on the start relay

Old 05-12-2013, 02:12 PM

Well, that's why you guys are moderators...so I checked ALL the fuses, except for the solenoid fuse...which was extremely difficult to get off...but once I did...

voila...

That fuse was popped, installed a new one, and since I had already redone the wiring for all of the tail lights/turn signals/etc, everything worked fine once I popped the new fuse in.

One unfortunate thing: when I installed the brake light, I had the power to the engine on, and it busted the running tail light when I plugged it in, so I have to get a new bulb, but the good thing is that everything is connected now, as it should have been...and all is well in the world.

So that means Sunday Funday...time to go ride. Thanks for everyones help. (75demon and IDoDirt)

Old 05-23-2013, 02:00 PM

I'm sorry I didn't see this post earlier, I live in south eastern wisconsin and know that place I woulda told you to run from that hole.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:59 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by stretch_the_apex
I'm sorry I didn't see this post earlier, I live in south eastern wisconsin and know that place I woulda told you to run from that hole.
HAHA yea. I bought my 1st bike, 01 F4i from there. Brought the bike home, ran for 11 days before it died on me and they would not do anything for me. Wanted to charge me $500 just to look at it. And I got ripped off on the price (Didn't know it at the time which is my fault). They have a huge selection and it's fun to walk through and look at the toys but will not do any more business with them.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the info, but here's why I went with them. I had a friend in Chicago get a bike from them (same one...2002 600 F4i) and he got a good deal on a good bike and didn't have issues. I bought mine from there, even though I live in Virginia because I couldn't find a single reputable place within 300 miles of Virginia that had an 02-04 CBR 600...they had a few, but it was more in the 2008 range and costing upwards of 6000-8000 dollars, which I wasn't willing to pay.

In reference to the large selection...they had what I was looking for and were willing to ship it to Virginia. That said, the bike has been great, despite the wiring issue, which I've now fixed. Hopefully it stays that way.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:50 PM

That's good to hear, when and if your ready to buy another bike down the road, just my opinion, steer clear of them, they buy anything brought in off the street, most guys jack up there bikes do some backasswards rig job to make it work then take it there and sell it to them