General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires that have been sitting...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires that have been sitting...

Hey guys, I have a question about old tires. I found a potential bike to buy that has low miles (only 1000) and the factory tires. The bike is a 2003. I'm told the tires are still good, but have not seen them yet. Could they still be good after 5 years?? Thoughts?

Thank you

Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Default RE: Tires that have been sitting...

Look for dry rot on the sides.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 AM

if the bike has been kept indoors all the time, its possible they're still good, but if its been outdoors, those tires are trash. 100% guaranteed. personally on any bike thats an 03, if it had the original tires still I'd be replacing them no matter what because I dont trust rubber that old.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to tire manufacturers tires should not be used beyond 7 years (whether they where used or not). Don*t know if that is propaganda to sell more tires or not but on cars blowouts have been attributed to age of tire. I*d say if tire looks okay, you*re probably good for a while.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Kewl Breeze
I*d say if tire looks okay, you*re probably good for a while.
Looks arent really everything with tires. an old tire, which to me is any tire more than 2 years old, isnt really that good to ride on. as tires age, regardless of where they're kept, they dry out, thus the dryrot and cracking, although you may not see cracking the tire may still be junk and offer really reduced grip when you need it most, such as in a corner.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hrider, I agree with you, you are absolutely correct and I wouldn't want him to f around with his life over saving a few $$'s on a new tire ... especially if he plans to do any non commute type riding. I was only saying I*ve used tires on bikes up to around 7 yrs without incident. You*re right that it is best not to recommend that though since there are too many variables ... although with low miles and kept indoors I*d still say the 2 yr limit is overdoing it a bit but that is semantics.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:13 AM

Lemme know if you get the bike and take them off, Ill put them to use

Old 12-30-2008, 09:58 AM

IF it were me, i would swap them for some new ones and keep those as spares for nails/flats in the future

Old 12-30-2008, 11:18 AM

Thanks guys, that the input I was looking for! I'm with ya on putting on nice new tires, it's just never fun throwing more cash a bike you just bought. I've been out of this for a while...how much does an average set of tires go for? I know I just spend $650 on my truck.

If I do swap'em, I will save them and give them away to someone who wants to smoke-em.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:36 PM

A set of Michelin pilot powers go for something like $300-350 or so, plus installation.

Quick Reply: Tires that have been sitting...