General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Last edited by Thefly; 11-05-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Your English is not bad at all!

I can't help with locating one, but I can say that 190 is VERY wide and will cause some turning difficulties. Also, Dunlop is widely known for producing a low-quality tire, which may explain the bargain.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Your English is not bad at all!

I can't help with locating one, but I can say that 190 is VERY wide and will cause some turning difficulties. Also, Dunlop is widely known for producing a low-quality tire, which may explain the bargain.
Okay thanks for your quick response but these are the new model of Dunlop, Dunlop Qualifier II with the new 3 components rubber.

The tire normally costs 255 euro or 364 U.S. dollars. I can buy it for 100 euros or 142 U.S. dollars

Of course I'm still not sure it fits between my rear he. I'd really like to know.

Last edited by Thefly; 08-24-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:21 PM

Aside from clearance issues with the swing arm, (it may fit), you need to have a rim that is not too narrow. If your stock size is a 170, chances are your rim is not going to be wide enough to fit the 190. Im not 100 percent sure, but I think if your rim is not at least 5.5 inches wide, a 190 is not going to safely fit the rim. It may mount on the rim, but the bead area will not be seated correctly and can blow off the rim during cornering.

but in all honesty, even if it will fit, I would not put a 190 on a bike that was designed around a 170. It can affect the handling significantly. Putting on a tire that is wider and shorter profile will offset the geomtry of the bikes front to rear suspension. You may not ever notice it if your not an aggressive rider, but there is a chance you will especially when its important... like during evasive manevours or something.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Aside from clearance issues with the swing arm, (it may fit), you need to have a rim that is not too narrow. If your stock size is a 170, chances are your rim is not going to be wide enough to fit the 190. Im not 100 percent sure, but I think if your rim is not at least 5.5 inches wide, a 190 is not going to safely fit the rim. It may mount on the rim, but the bead area will not be seated correctly and can blow off the rim during cornering.

but in all honesty, even if it will fit, I would not put a 190 on a bike that was designed around a 170. It can affect the handling significantly. Putting on a tire that is wider and shorter profile will offset the geomtry of the bikes front to rear suspension. You may not ever notice it if your not an aggressive rider, but there is a chance you will especially when its important... like during evasive manevours or something.
Hello thanks for your reply,

My rim is at least 6.5 inches wide and i am not such an aggressive rider .

My front suspension is not adjustable and my back suspension is just possible
to put hard or soft , It's now somewhere between soft and hard.

Is it really such a big difference in handling? I am very surprised by it.

Last edited by Thefly; 08-25-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:16 AM

My rim is at least 6.5 inches wide and i am not such an aggressive rider .
I think you might be mistaken in rim width. If your running stock wheels on your bike, it should only be around 5 inches wide. If your rim is in fact 6.5 inches wide, the 180 you are currently running would probably not even seat on a rim that wide, let alone a 170 the bike was stock with. I think there might be a miscomunication here. 5.5 inches converts to about 140 mm. If your rim is not at least 140mm wide, I wouldn't run a 190 on it for fear of the bead not seating correctly. Also, when you measure, you need to take into account the rims lip thickness. the actual width of the rim is determined by the inside of the rim, not the outside edge. So, what ever you measure outside, subtract about a 1/2 inch ( or 12.7mm), and that should give you close to the actual rim width as the lips are about a 1/4 inch thick, (or 6.35 mm thick).

My front suspension is not adjustable and my back suspension is just possible
to put hard or soft , It's now somewhere between soft and hard.
as for suspension adjustment, there really isn't anything you can do. The change the lower profile tire will have is it will lower your rear ride height. this may, or may not affect how the bike handles. Just know the possibility is there.

Is it really such a big difference in handling? I am very surprised by it.
You really won't know until you put the tire on and try it. I was only giving you a headsup that the bike will not be the same. It may be better, it may be worse, you may not notice anything, but one thing for sure, the bikes suspension will not be working the same way as it did when it left the factory. You could run into a situation where the rear and front supension are fighting each other instead of working together. A change as little as 1mm in ride height can affect how the bike handles dramatically. Again, that is not a guarantee your bike will be affected negatively, but the chances are there.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
I think you might be mistaken in rim width. If your running stock wheels on your bike, it should only be around 5 inches wide. If your rim is in fact 6.5 inches wide, the 180 you are currently running would probably not even seat on a rim that wide, let alone a 170 the bike was stock with. I think there might be a miscomunication here. 5.5 inches converts to about 140 mm. If your rim is not at least 140mm wide, I wouldn't run a 190 on it for fear of the bead not seating correctly. Also, when you measure, you need to take into account the rims lip thickness. the actual width of the rim is determined by the inside of the rim, not the outside edge. So, what ever you measure outside, subtract about a 1/2 inch ( or 12.7mm), and that should give you close to the actual rim width as the lips are about a 1/4 inch thick, (or 6.35 mm thick).

as for suspension adjustment, there really isn't anything you can do. The change the lower profile tire will have is it will lower your rear ride height. this may, or may not affect how the bike handles. Just know the possibility is there.

You really won't know until you put the tire on and try it. I was only giving you a headsup that the bike will not be the same. It may be better, it may be worse, you may not notice anything, but one thing for sure, the bikes suspension will not be working the same way as it did when it left the factory. You could run into a situation where the rear and front supension are fighting each other instead of working together. A change as little as 1mm in ride height can affect how the bike handles dramatically. Again, that is not a guarantee your bike will be affected negatively, but the chances are there.
I am sorry you were right it is indeed a 5.5 rim and got another good look and the size is stampt on the rim en it is indeed more than 140 mm.

I measured the total width which was 159mm - 12.7 mm = 146.3 mm

Last edited by Thefly; 08-25-2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:17 PM

stick with the stock size even if its more money, your bike will handle better.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no expert, but I sold tires for a long time. Essentially, what you're doing by running a 180/55 vs the 170/55 is called "+1" sizing...which is *generally* ok. In fact, many of us RC51 riders often run 180/55's vs the stock 190. This would be -1. Basically, +1 or -1 is generally ok. Since your 170/55 is stock & you're wanting to go to a 190, that would be +2. I would not do this.

You *could* be ok but why chance it, risking your life, to save a few bucks on a tire sale?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it a brand new tire? Don't know anything about tire sizes and handling performance but I do know money.

Buy it, flip it and get a new tire the right size

Quick Reply: tires