General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Shaving?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Shaving?

I've been searching several forums and haven't found anything about this...

So, I have a 98' F3 w/ a 180/55 tire on the rear (stock is 160). The place I bought the bike from threw on the 180 and I didn't know it would cause problems. The issue with the 180 is that if I align it perfectly with the front tire, the chain touches the edge of the wheel (and has even chipped some of the tire away already, ~1-2mm).

Does anyone know if it would compromise the tire to shave off like 2-5mm off the left side of the tire so that the front and rear wheels can be aligned without the chain slipping along the wall of the rear? If that's even possible, how would I go about doing it?

My dream would be to run these tires for the rest of the season since they have a good amount of tread on them, then get some 170s for next year.

Thanks

Old 05-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98F3_colorado
I've been searching several forums and haven't found anything about this...

So, I have a 98' F3 w/ a 180/55 tire on the rear (stock is 160). The place I bought the bike from threw on the 180 and I didn't know it would cause problems. The issue with the 180 is that if I align it perfectly with the front tire, the chain touches the edge of the wheel (and has even chipped some of the tire away already, ~1-2mm).

Does anyone know if it would compromise the tire to shave off like 2-5mm off the left side of the tire so that the front and rear wheels can be aligned without the chain slipping along the wall of the rear? If that's even possible, how would I go about doing it?

My dream would be to run these tires for the rest of the season since they have a good amount of tread on them, then get some 170s for next year.

Thanks
I wouldnt want to risk it. I would take it back to them and tell them the tire they gave me isnt working and have them replace it.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I'm no motorcycle mechanic - I've never heard of trying to align rear wheel w/ front. The rear wheel should be square in the swingarm, and your chainline straight. Your adjusters on each side of the swingarm should be identical, or you have something wrong with your frame or swingarm.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:10 AM

I would not suggest it. Motorcycle tires are not something you want to mess with. I'd get it replaced. If the dealership did it, they should be responsible for it. Chances are good it was some rookie kid that did it. I'd go in and talk to the manager. If that doesn't do it, ask to speak with the owner. Be nice about it and you may get good results.

The other thing the shop should be concerned with is the tire on that rim. I don't think your stock wheels are rated to accept a tire that wide. If too wide of a tire is fitted to the rim, it will distort and can cause premature failure. Even if the tire wasn't rubbing, you need to get it changed.

I've never heard of trying to align rear wheel w/ front.
thats actually the proper way to align the wheels. The swing arm marks are there as a ref point and will work as they get it close, but they are not true to the rest of the bike. Those marks are done before the swing arm even attaches to the bike. Aligning the rear wheel with the front wheel is most accurate way to know 100 percent your bike is tracking true. The swing arm marks on my bike are about a half a mark off to each other when the rear wheel is straight to the rest of the bike. Nothing major since the bike will still ride fine either way 99 percent of the time, but it is noticable when you get more aggressive in your riding. What usually happens is left or right corners feel better and more controlled depending on which way the rear tire is pointed.

Although the proper procedure needs to happen and can easily be done incorrectly. Make sure you are actually doing it correctly. If your swing arm marks are way of to each other, something is wrong. They should be relatively close.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Burt Munro did it and they held up until his forks gave in, but that was a movie.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
I would not suggest it. Motorcycle tires are not something you want to mess with. I'd get it replaced. If the dealership did it, they should be responsible for it. Chances are good it was some rookie kid that did it. I'd go in and talk to the manager. If that doesn't do it, ask to speak with the owner. Be nice about it and you may get good results.

The other thing the shop should be concerned with is the tire on that rim. I don't think your stock wheels are rated to accept a tire that wide. If too wide of a tire is fitted to the rim, it will distort and can cause premature failure. Even if the tire wasn't rubbing, you need to get it changed.

thats actually the proper way to align the wheels. The swing arm marks are there as a ref point and will work as they get it close, but they are not true to the rest of the bike. Those marks are done before the swing arm even attaches to the bike. Aligning the rear wheel with the front wheel is most accurate way to know 100 percent your bike is tracking true. The swing arm marks on my bike are about a half a mark off to each other when the rear wheel is straight to the rest of the bike. Nothing major since the bike will still ride fine either way 99 percent of the time, but it is noticable when you get more aggressive in your riding. What usually happens is left or right corners feel better and more controlled depending on which way the rear tire is pointed.

Although the proper procedure needs to happen and can easily be done incorrectly. Make sure you are actually doing it correctly. If your swing arm marks are way of to each other, something is wrong. They should be relatively close.
QFT
This IS the best answer IMO for both questions. Great reply Squid, great reply.

Last edited by amRRussel; 05-17-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by amRRussel
Post *****. :P

Old 05-17-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by cynicalrider
Post *****. :P

Old 05-17-2011, 03:37 PM

And that is the best sig IMO... Great sig... I still gotta stop and stare everytime I read one your post..

Old 05-17-2011, 04:21 PM

I still don't know who that is.

Quick Reply: Tire Shaving?