General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire plugs?

So i got a flat tire on the freeway, seemed fine when i was doing 80 but when i slowed down to 60 i got the death wobbles anyway i pulled over and it had a small hole in it. being that today was the 4th no tire stores or cycle shops where open. My question is does anyone have or ever used tire plugs? I have only heard of them and wanted to know if they where any good and if there where some that where better then others. also where i might be able to buy some?

Old 07-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Tire plugs?

You can use plugs as long as the hole is about center line of the tire. If you (or the shop) does a good job on it, it should stay for a long time, but i wouldn't race on it.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:08 PM

QuinC - Hey I have been faced with the same issue on more than one occasion. The first time was on a Saturday afternoon with no shops open so I just went to NAPA and bought some generic plugs - nothing with the mushroom head or anything. That was enough for me to ride around town for a couple days until I could get her to the shop and repaired. They actually put a "better" plug in instead of putting a new tire on (which was my decision). Their plug was a patch-plug combo and worked really well. Had the same thing done about 2 months after the first incident... worked well. Finally after the third time I replaced the tire - it had 7k miles on it anyways.

Finally I bought a plug kit from Dennis Kirk in case I ever had a problem on the road. It has several 'shroom plugs and a few small CO2 cartridges and everything so you can inflate it while you're out on the road. Haven't had to use it yet but it looks like a really good and complete kit. Think it cost around $40. Don't remember.

What was your question again!?

Old 07-06-2006, 01:41 PM

Hey. I work at a tire shop here in WA. A plug will get you home but I would replace the tire ASAP! When you breach the casing on a tire you always run the risk of the tire separating. With the softer rubber compounds and heat generated by a bike tire I wouldn't run it more than a couple hundred miles. I had to plug my rear 208 and the tire started to come apart in about 100mi. They work in a pinch but the tire really should be replaced.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:27 PM

i have run several plugs in my car tires and never had a problem. on my bike if i was in your situation i would plug the tire to get me home then buy a new tire but thats just me im not risking my self or my bike for 200+ dollars

Old 07-08-2006, 02:11 AM

well *** i only have 2k miles on my damn tire.. can you patch them from the inside like you would do a car tire?

Old 07-08-2006, 02:27 AM

my buddy has had a plug in for 2 months....NO PROBLEMS....and he does wheelies and hit speeds of 130+ on it, still nothing.

Old 07-08-2006, 03:50 AM

No problems YET....dude, bite the bullet and get a new tire. I know it sucks, but you aren't riding you grandma's Camry are ya? Like was posted earlier a new tire is a lot cheaper than an emergency room visit and 6 pins in your leg.

Kent

Old 07-08-2006, 05:00 AM

I take it that Australia is not the only country with bad Camry Drivers!!

Old 07-08-2006, 05:34 AM

We need to make a big distinction here..... Bikes have 2 wheels, cars have 4. If you plug a car tire (which takes to plugs much better than bike tires to start with) you have a much lesser risk of failure. If the tire does fail, you have 3 others to steer the car to safety. With a bike and only 2 tires, if one fails, you're Fu$$$$ED!!! Also, chances are that you're moving much faster than you would be in a car. Case and point the guy above who referenced his buddy that touches wheelies down at 130 on a plugged tire. DUMB ***!!!!!! A new tire costs $125. A new life costs...... well, you can't buy that back once it's gone.

Quick Reply: Tire plugs?