General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Threaded 'nut' in the side fairings for F4 / F4i?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Threaded 'nut' in the side fairings for F4 / F4i?

My 2000 F4 is missing one of the retaining bolts for the lower "V" front cowl piece. I decided to pull a screw from the top half and put it in there to see if it fit better that way, but I soon learned that it wasnt threading into anything. There seems to be a black plastic piece that looks like a small button. Inside of it is a metal threaded insert that the bolt threads into .. I was thinking of using a nylon rivet or even a matching nut on the inside since it is somewhat accessible, but I'm wondering if I can even buy these inserts? Are they part of the side fairings only? I did not see them listed on bikebandit or ron ayers... they are teh same (I believe) for F4s and F4is.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Old 02-05-2010, 09:39 AM

mine has push rivets/bolt/buttons wtfe ya wanna call em, lil plastic things, push the insert in the hole, then push the bolt thingie in to expand the insert n it holds it all together. PITA lil phuqrz to get out when ya need to remove the fairings tho lol

Old 02-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Those lil thingies are cheap and available at any auto parts store.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're called speed nuts

Old 02-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Official Welcome Crew

Thanks guys.. I am trying to find nylon rivets for the side fairings and upper instrument cluster trim already.. I have tried as small as 1/4in and they are too large.... the parts places around here dont seem to have any smaller...

those speed nuts are not what I saw inside, but I guess any kind of speed nut would work.. I know similar ones from my car experiences..

too bad it is going to snow Saturday.. would be a great day to get some wrenching done...

Adam

Old 02-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Official Welcome Crew

OK. here they are... they are called "well nuts"

Keep in mind it was dark out when I looked at my fairing with a flashlight the other night, but this is pretty much what I saw...

They look like this:

They expand out when the bolt threads in.. this is what retains them in the fairing...

I found a place that has them.. I assume its either a 6mm or 7mm bolt...

Just wanted to put it out there for future searches.
Adam

Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the lower v fairings its called a fly bolt, its the one that go all the way at the bottom rite if i remember correctly...honestly it would work with a ziptie lol thats how I have mines right now...just match the zip tie with the fairing color and no one can tell the difference

if u really want to, im sure honda prolly sells the piece for like 2 bucks.

or go to bikebolts

Old 02-06-2010, 08:37 PM

they are the same as the f4i windscreen bolts...ebay has kits of 8...bolts and wellnuts for 8 bucks...just got mine for my windscreen....i think yana shiki is who they came from

Old 02-07-2010, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by orangef3
they are the same as the f4i windscreen bolts...ebay has kits of 8...bolts and wellnuts for 8 bucks...just got mine for my windscreen....i think yana shiki is who they came from
dont get them from yana shiki...i got a kit from them directly and it sucked, the bolts could not bear normal pressure of turninG! might as well go to bikebolts