General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things I can, and cannot cover on my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things I can, and cannot cover on my bike?

So for those of you who have seen my mod blog in the 600 section you might know what I'm doing, but if you haven't...let me explain.

I'm in the early stages of making custom fairings for my 94 CBR600F2 out of metal. I specifically want to make some fairings that make it look sort of like a stealth bomber, something like this...

Any to do this I think will be pretty simple. I have access to a full shop with a welder, a lot of metal, and everything I think I will need. The next thing to do is to get some cardboard and mock it up how I want it to look, then take the board off, cut some metal out and put mounting brackets on it.

So here is my question, when making my fairings what are things on the bike I can and cannot cover, what areas give off a lot of heat and should have vents?

It seems that fairings have cut outs for the clutch cover, and a similar cut out on the other side. Is this just so the fairings don't have to go over these things or do they need to be left uncovered?

I know I should vent the area around the engine, but are there any other places that should be vented as well?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:12 AM

thats a very interesting idea. what kind of metal are you gonna be using? Keep in mind, its hard to find the perfect balance between weight and vibration. (thicker metal will weight down your bike so much, yet thin metal will shake like a leaf if you hit high speeds). in terms of ventilation, stock fairings are engineered to cool engine and its components at a desired rate without reducing bikes performance too much. They are usually designed specifically for each bike. It will be hard to achieve the stock performance if you alter the design of the fairings. What I am trying to say is just by cutting a hole in the fairing doesn't necessary mean that heat will be carried away by air flow. If the air flow is turbulent, then it is not ideal for dissipate heat.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Not much really. Airflow thru and out of the radiator and passage for flow under the gas tank and you should be fine.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:10 PM

Thanks, I'm not a very big guy...135 pounds. I'm a rather small guy actually, so I think if I put 20-30 pounds of metal on the bike it really wouldn't be any different than the average joe riding his bike right?

I'm not too worried about the weight, I'll be looking for a good balance, and thinking about on the larger pieces putting a spider web like frame on the inside, it would be light thin metal rod...but it would also hold it firm pretty well.

Thanks for the help, any more info would be appreciated!

Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM

interesting idea, excited to see the progress

Old 01-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're not interested in racing, the added weight is insignificant. Even with my wife
on the back, mine will still scare the bejesus out of me. By the way, if you glass the
sheet-metal, you can use a very thin guage to keep the weight down. The fibre-glass
will stiffen/strengthen it all up a lot.

I would try to maintain symetry in your design. You want the center of pressure to
remain through the vertical axis of the bike. As well, watch that you don't create any
lift with your design. If you copy/flatten the planes of the current fairings, you'll
probably be alright, aerodynamically speaking.

As far as the clutch/alternator poking out, I'm betting that has more to do with keeping
the fairings tight to the chassis rather than heat-dissipation qualitys. You do want the
side vents, in some manner. They give air a place to flow OUT of the fairings, after it
passes the radiator. I would preserve any air-box ducting. That's specifically designed
to feed the right amount of air, at the right pressure to the air-box and on to the carbs.

Just a few random thoughts, from your idea, Ern