General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There is a screw in my tire!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There is a screw in my tire!

When I arrived at work today and got off my bike I realized there was a screw stuck in my rear tire about an 1.5 inches from the center. The screw punctured the tire because I took a look at it and can see it going into the tire and when I pressed hard on it I heard the slightest bit of air come out. The tire is a Dunlop Radial D207 I think...I beleive it's the stock 2004 Honda CBR600F4i rear tire.

Anyways, so my question is, should I imediatly ride the bike to a motorcycle repair place or is it good to drive it home and take it in tomorrow? Should I leave the bike where it is and take a cab home or what? Can I take it to a car tire repair place or motorcycle only? Any guidance is appriciated.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Default RE: There is a screw in my tire!

I would check the pressure and if it is good ride it to your local bike shop and get it replaced.
but ride slow.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:06 PM

Do I need to get a new tire or just have it patched? Can you patch a bike tire?

Old 08-10-2006, 05:16 PM

This is controversial, but a lot of people would tell you to get a new tire. They say it is not safe to patch it.... I think it alls depends how fast and where you drive though. As I always drive on canyons, I just bought a new tire but if I was using my bike only for commuting I would had only patched it.....
I dont think a car tire place will patch a motorcycle tire.... In fact, at least in Los Angeles area is very hard to find a Bike place that would patch a motorcycle tire.......
Alvaro

Old 08-10-2006, 05:21 PM

Ok I'm just going to get a new tire. Can I just replace the rear or is it better to replace both at the same time? They told me on the phone that the replacement tire for me is the Dunlop Qualifier and they want $107 for it.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:13 PM

Yes, you can replace just the rear tire.
Alvaro

Old 08-10-2006, 09:47 PM

depending on how far the shop is away from your place i would just take off the wheel and have them just do the tire and you would proly save a little money doing this as well..but if its really close just ride it there and dont take sharp turns!hahaha.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:50 PM

It was about 5 miles of freeway riding to the shop. I was at work when I noticed it and didn't have any tools so I just had a coworker follow me over there and I dropped the bike off. I'll be picking it back up in a bit. It was fine riding it over there althrough I was paranoid about it during the ride. It held pressure well so I figured I could make it the 5 mile trip.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:51 PM

Also, the guy said I was the 6th person to come in today with a screw in my tire. I think someone dropped a box of screws today or something haha.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:13 AM

track that guy down that dropped the screws, bring your cordless drill, and put 4 fresh screws in all of his tires.
Speaking of dropping crap, guess what was on the Highway today when I was coming into work, a brand new refrigerator, still in the box, sitting in the middle of the highway!! another good reason to pay attention to the road I guess

Quick Reply: There is a screw in my tire!