General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail Light Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can post pictures of the mess that the PO made. He didnt use an aftermarket integrated tail light. It looks like he used the stock tail light and wired into it. Ill post a few of those pictures up but I dont know how much it will help....the wiring is seriously a mess.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:45 PM

Name:  WiringMess.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  44.6 KB

Ok this is the mess of wires. I recognize the clips for each blinker. Theyre spliced into and it goes into the head light.

Name:  WiringMess2.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  55.5 KB

Another angle.

Name:  TailLight1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  32.3 KB

Stock tail (I think) with the wires going from the harness into it. The PO bipassed the stock tail light plugs and wired right into the bulbs.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 PM

I just had the exact problem but didn't get a new harness. Just follow the mangled wires from the tail light back down until you reach a plastic harness. Unplug it and plug your new harness in.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonCBRF4i
I just had the exact problem but didn't get a new harness. Just follow the mangled wires from the tail light back down until you reach a plastic harness. Unplug it and plug your new harness in.
Yea I kind of half tried that today but I didnt know how far down it was towards the front of the bike. Did you end up finding the area to plug the harness into?

Approximately where was it on the bike?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by chrislen32
Yea I kind of half tried that today but I didnt know how far down it was towards the front of the bike. Did you end up finding the area to plug the harness into?

Approximately where was it on the bike?
It should be just as long as your replacement harness. There may be tape or a cover covering it which may make it difficult to feel for. But it shouldn't be longer than the new one you got.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 PM

so the grey connector is for the F4? i just want to make sure someone has at least seen it before.

I couldnt seem to find anything covered in tape that would be large enough to be the connector but Ill look again tomorrow.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 PM

or can anyone give me a general idea of where the tail light harness should be? it is different from the main wiring harness right?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not so sure your replacement harness is for a 2000 F4. What I can tell you are the wiring groupings & wiring color codes for what should be back there...

For the RIGHT & LEFT Tail Light (two 3-wire plugs - one for each side) Each 3-wire plug has a solid green, green w/ yellow stripe, & black w/ brown stripe.

For the Plate Light (2-wire) - solid green & solid brown.

For Right Signal Light (2-wire) - solid green & solid orange.

For Left Signal Light (2-wire) - solid green & solid blue.

You don't really need any of those factory plastic plugs, especially if you are going to do an aftermarket tail light & signal setup.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man

Originally Posted by gotcbr
I'm not so sure your replacement harness is for a 2000 F4. What I can tell you are the wiring groupings & wiring color codes for what should be back there...

For the RIGHT & LEFT Tail Light (two 3-wire plugs - one for each side) Each 3-wire plug has a solid green, green w/ yellow stripe, & black w/ brown stripe.

For the Plate Light (2-wire) - solid green & solid brown.

For Right Signal Light (2-wire) - solid green & solid orange.

For Left Signal Light (2-wire) - solid green & solid blue.

You don't really need any of those factory plastic plugs, especially if you are going to do an aftermarket tail light & signal setup.
+1

All my wires are soldered and heat shrinked

Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 PM

Even if it is the wrong harness you can probably still make it work.

Last edited by DagonRais; 02-04-2011 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Tail Light Wiring Harness