General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic oils, Which is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Synthetic oils, Which is the best?

yes...and that plus will trump on what self-proclaimed tribologists on here opionate.
so please go ask your questions there.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:50 AM

I then switched to Royal Purple and immediately noticed that the rpms werelower to go the same speeds
You put the Royal Purple in your engine, and somehow this made your transmission slip less?

I think the Royal Purple just changed your perception! - I seriously doubt oil will make ANY noticeable difference in your mileage or RPM's, but I do run Synthetic (Mobil 1 15-50 in the cages, Amsoil 10-40 in the bike)in all my vehicles

I follow the 5000-7500 mile rule(50/50 highway/city) for my daily drivers, andannually for my seasonal vehicles that don't get that many miles(Anything more is unnecessary with Synthetic. - My father takes it to the extreme - he has NEVER changed the oil on his 01 Silverado 5.3 (Bought with 10 miles on it)- Just does a filter change every 3K miles and tops it off as needed (Not that it leaks, but the filter change of course results in a little lost oil.) - He's clocked 170K hard miles (Dusty country conditions) on it so far - Hasn't had to touch the engine (though he has a SES light from one of the knock sensors - damn GM engineering).

I'll stop there - this is a touchy subject - do what you think best, I really doubt it will make much of a difference in the life of your bike.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mycvil
he has NEVER changed the oil on his 01 Silverado 5.3 (Bought with 10 miles on it)- Just does a filter change every 3K miles and tops it off as needed (Not that it leaks, but the filter change of course results in a little lost oil.) - He's clocked 170K hard miles (Dusty country conditions) on it so far - Hasn't had to touch the engine (though he has a SES light from one of the knock sensors - damn GM engineering).
170k without an oil change!!! GASP....MUST.....CALM.....DOWN....DON'T....CALL... MYCVIL'S....DAD...RETARDED!!

Sorry, it's just that's really hard to believe, especially since it probably came with dino oil fomr the factory which will break down after time - I've heard about 5000miles. Although my dad changes the oil in his Civic about every 20K with dino oil and it went for 280K before it died, and yes I still call him out for this.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mycvil
he has NEVER changed the oil on his 01 Silverado 5.3 (Bought with 10 miles on it)- Just does a filter change every 3K miles and tops it off as needed (Not that it leaks, but the filter change of course results in a little lost oil.) - He's clocked 170K hard miles (Dusty country conditions) on it so far - Hasn't had to touch the engine (though he has a SES light from one of the knock sensors - damn GM engineering).
I'm sorry but that is total bullsh*t.

Changing the filter and not changing the oil : Bullsh*t

170K miles with no oil change and no problems : Bullsh*t

Bullsh*t Bullsh*t Bullsh*t

Old 11-13-2007, 01:40 PM

Sorry, it's just that's really hard to believe, especially since it probably came with dino oil fomr the factory which will break down after time - I've heard about 5000miles.
Sorry - forgot to qualify this - he did 1 change - from factory "dino" oil to Mobil 1 15-50 Synthetic. - Beyond that NOTHING...

You run with a lot of what your parents teach you - I ran my 1st Cadillac with no oil changes (Beyond the initial Mobil 1 fill) and simply filter changes. - Ran fine till 130K when the tranny went out. - Second Cadillac - same story - Bought at 106K ran to 155K and traded on 3rd Cadillac - that one had the GM Oil Life system - I started changing when the computer said so (Still have that car today...) -It only had 50K when I got it and I couldn't bear to leave the same OLD oil in it forever...

My mechanic father(fixes over-the-road truck differentials for a living)swears the filter catches pretty much any of the "bullsh*t" flowing through the system - he has always done the same on all his vehicles. Of course I hijack some of his nicer vehicles (02 STS, 05 Sierra) occasionally and do changes, but his 170K pickup is such a sty I avoid using it EVER.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:55 PM

calm down meng...you figure...if his truck takes 5 quarts to fill, and it burns 4 quarts in between OCI, he has pretty much new oil in there all the time! mauhahahahahahhaha...

Old 11-13-2007, 03:07 PM

calm down meng...you figure...ifhis truck takes5 gallons to fill, and it burns 4 gallons in between OCI, he has pretty much new oil in there all the time! mauhahahahahahhaha...
Ouch - You've got a truck that takes 5 GALLONS to fill???

For the record - it doesn't burn more than 1/2 quart each oil change - that's his standard - Filter and 1 Quart. - So he basically replaces 1/5-1/6 of his oil with each change...

Old 11-13-2007, 03:33 PM

what are you talking about 5 gallons...why you misquoting me mang? muhhahahhaha...
that is just crazy what your pops did...good thing nothing ever happened to the motor or else they would definitely not cover it under warranty, then again it doesn't matter if he's the mechanic!