General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic oil truth vs myth

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Synthetic oil truth vs myth

by: Ed Newman[/b]
It's a fact of life that behavior is influenced by what people believe, whether true or not. Numerous cases from history bear this out. For example, sailors were once fearful of sailing outside the sight of land lest they would fall off the edge of the world. In the early
19th century, the train was considered dangerous because it was believed that if you moved faster than 25 miles per hour, you’d be traveling too fast to breathe. At a later date, the New York Times warned that electric light would cause blindness. Microwave ovens, automobiles and airplanes have had equally vociferous opponents.
Looking back, it's easy to laugh at some of the things people once held as true. But these people were not stupid. They were misinformed. In many instances they had simply drawn conclusions before all the facts were in. How easy it is to make the same mistake today.
In our own time, synthetic motor oils have been the object of numerous misconceptions held by the general public. Many people, including some mechanics, have been misled by these persistent myths.

PARAMETERS OF THE DEBATE

Synthetic motor oils are fuel efficient, extended life lubricants manufactured from select base stocks and special purpose additives. Synthetic oil base stocks are made from organic compounds or synthetic hydrocarbons using a process that re-arranges the structure so all the molecules are uniform in size, shape and weight, a phenomenon that does not occur in nature. In contrast to petroleum oils which are pumped from the earth and refined, synthetics are custom-designed to produce, in effect, the ideal lubricant.
In responding to the objections most commonly raised against synthetics it is important to establish the parameters of the debate. When speaking of synthetic motor oils, this article is defending the lubricants which have been formulated to meet the performance standards set by the American Petroleum Institute (API). (The first such synthetic motor oil independently tested and confirmed to meet these industry-accepted tests for defining engine oil properties and performance characteristics was AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 10W-40 in 1972.)

Many people with questions about synthetics haven't known where to turn to get correct information. Is it super oil or snake oil? Some enthusiasts will swear that synthetics are capable of raising your car from the dead. On the other hand, the next fellow asserts that synthetics will send your beloved car to an early grave. Where's the truth in all this?

In an effort to set the record straight, we've assembled here ten of the more persistent myths about synthetic motor oils to see how they stack up against the facts.

Myth #1: Synthetic motor oils damage seals.

Untrue. It would be foolhardy for lubricant manufacturers to build a product that is incompatible with seals. The composition of seals presents problems that both petroleum oils and synthetics must overcome. Made from elastomers, seals are inherently difficult to standardize.
Ultimately it is the additive mix in oil that counts. Additives to control seal swell, shrinkage and hardening are required, whether it be a synthetic or petroleum product that is being produced.

Myth #2: Synthetics are too thin to stay in the engine.

Untrue. In order for a lubricant to be classified in any SAE grade (10W-30, 10W-40, etc.) it has to meet certain guidelines with regard to viscosity ("thickness").
For example, it makes no difference whether it's 10W-40 petroleum or 10W-40 synthetic, at -25 degrees centigrade (-13F) and 100 degrees centigrade (212 degrees F) the oil has to maintain a standardized viscosity or it can't be rated a 10W-40.

Myth #3: Synthetics cause cars to use more oil.

Untrue. Synthetic motor oils are intended for use in mechanically sound engines, that is, engines that don't leak. In such engines, oil co

Old 05-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Synthetic oil truth vs myth

About The Author

Ed Newman is Marketing Manager for AMSOIL INC., manufacturer of the original synthetic motor oil for automotive applications. He has published more than 200 articles as a freelance writer on a wide range of important topics.
enewman@amsoil.com
I'm not sure how much I would trust from the marketing manager for Amsoil...

Old 05-16-2007, 11:16 PM

Then don't, it really doesn't matter who believes this. It's just info.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Banned

I used to build missiles and rockets...we always used synthetics. If cost is no object then synthetics always win. The question is the cost to benefit ratios... for certain vehicles that you will keep for a long time, synthetics are a no brainer.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:38 PM

My bike deserves the best, and so do my cars. I'm pretty hard on them and I love peace of mind.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:57 PM

good find...amsoil is in my opinion...the absolute best...

in the WRX forum a test was conducted of many oils, dino and synthetic, and while some claimed to be of a particular weight, they were considered 'thinner' oils for the specified weight...such as m1 5w30. many WRX's that ran m1 5W30 consumed more oil...when switched to a 'thicker' 5W30, like amsoil, castrol, etc...consumption stopped. so is all same weight oil the same? probably not. UOA also showed that M1 5W30 wasn't very sheer stable...and at times, within 1000 miles had sheered down to a 20 weight.

synthetics are great...and oils like amsoil may be able to keep all of its properties in extreme driving conditions for up to 15K miles...but what happens if the engine goes at 30K...and you've only had...say 3 oil changes when the manufacturers recommended change very 4K? you think they'll honor the warranty? probably not.

i know synthetics are superior and can last much longer than dino...but now my car manufacturer says extreme conditions require changing oil at 3750 or 3.75 months...and just having a turbo = extreme condition. dino oil can last that long...i want to go syn...but if i have to change it every 3.5K, i'd just stick to dino oil...as it's more cost efficient and still gets the job done. plus...wife would kill me if i put amsoil in my car and she gets regular stuff...

Old 05-17-2007, 04:10 PM

oil weights are allowed a range buy API standards....the 5w range touchesthe 10w range for example....its truely an averaging property.I have no doubt some oils shift their viscostiy average offcenter of the claimed number....others just vary as its cheaper to do it that way.

High accuracy/narrow rangeof viscosity is the reason Race Tech claims for their $30 per quart fork oil.

The "oil seal leak" myth got its basis on a partial reality. The synthetics could clean the inside of an engine as some have better detergents than "cheap" oils,effectively uncovering false seals created by varnish and sludge (temperature/chemical breakdown)....Amsoil offers a similar explanation....I was told this by a college professor of mine that was a retired engineer from Ford. But suchmyths alsogo back to the 60'sas well, when initial releases of Mobil synthetics DID attack oil seals. Nitrile and Viton are common engine seal materials in todays engines/gearboxes and are resistant to pretty harsh stuff....attack on seals is a thing of the past.

When I took some of my post graduate training in gear design, it was from a guy with a PhD that has forgotten more than I'll ever know and is one of the most well known gear consultants in the US. He was all for using synthetics when you had the need for their advanatges (he wasfan of Mobilby the way). He offered four advantages:
1: improved viscosity index (heat range have less impact on viscosity)
2: lower coefficient of friction (my own gear box testing has validated this on the grades we used, but don't be expecting 10%increases you hear on TV)
3: Higher film strength
4: Higher temperature/chemical stability.

Also worth knowing is that the term "synthetic" is also only a description of an oil's properties...not whether or not is made in a lab. Rotella T synthetic and Castrol Syntec are highly refinedpetroleum base stocks....the new Mobil synthetics are rumored to be as well. Mobilsued Castrol over their Syntec "synthetic" claim back in the 90'sand lost. Amsoil can claim to be a synthetic regardless of propertiesbecause they use soy beans as the sourcefor theirbase stock (thats not bad, just a statement...their oil is good).

I'd love for all the myths to be dispelled and replaced by knowledge and facts...but, until we kill all the marketing people and let engineers rule the world, that won't happen.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:23 PM

are you a tribologist?

Old 05-17-2007, 07:43 PM

Tahoe - no, I'm a mechanical engineer,but also a gear head. I have done my times in some fun area's....some engine research while in college, and spent a few years doing suspension and drive-line design after college.....so I've had school and real world education on much of this.... I've had the opportunity to work with some petroleum engineers....they can blow you away with their knowledge. So, I know enough to know I don't know ****.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:05 PM

to trash this thread...
i think KY needs to up its viscosity cause mang...that stuff is so not shear stable...muhahahahah...

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil truth vs myth