General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension help

so im in the process of trying to fine tune my suspension on my '01 F4i i've been reading all the material i can find on it, and honestly its kind of overwhelming. i found the how to guid on sport rider:
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0402_susp/index.html

and been looking at the reccomended susmension settings here:
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_suspension_settings/index4.html

has anyone used these reccomended settings? it doesnt really say what weight rider they are set up for. and when it says like "front rebound: 1.50 turns out" what does "1.5 turns out" mean? i would assume i would turn the rebound adjuster 1 and 1/2 times to the left (from the starting position it is in on the dot 1/2 way between H and S) but i dont want to start anything and make it worse. the main reason i want to get the suspension right is because when cornering now it doesnt feel like the front is doing what it should be, the front feels like it wants to slide or kinda feels light. i will be replacing the stock tires with pilot powers front and rear before the new season starts too because i think this could be part of the issue. thanks in advance for any help oh BTW i am about 145-155lbs with gear on[/align]

Old 01-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Default RE: Suspension help

Out means from full max settings. (Hard...stiff)

In means from off or zero settings...(Limp...soft)

ORIGINAL: Badfish

so im in the process of trying to fine tune my suspension on my '01 F4i i've been reading all the material i can find on it, and honestly its kind of overwhelming. i found the how to guid on sport rider:
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0402_susp/index.html

and been looking at the reccomended susmension settings here:
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_suspension_settings/index4.html

has anyone used these reccomended settings? it doesnt really say what weight rider they are set up for. and when it says like "front rebound: 1.50 turns out" what does "1.5 turns out" mean? i would assume i would turn the rebound adjuster 1 and 1/2 times to the left (from the starting position it is in on the dot 1/2 way between H and S) but i dont want to start anything and make it worse. the main reason i want to get the suspension right is because when cornering now it doesnt feel like the front is doing what it should be, the front feels like it wants to slide or kinda feels light. i will be replacing the stock tires with pilot powers front and rear before the new season starts too because i think this could be part of the issue. thanks in advance for any help oh BTW i am about 145-155lbs with gear on[/align]

Old 01-11-2008, 02:16 AM

so 1.5 turns out would mean set it to all the way stiff and then come 1.5 turns back? or would it be set it to all the way soft then come 1.5 turns back? sorry if this is a total noob question

Old 01-11-2008, 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Badfish

so 1.5 turns out would mean set it to all the way in then come 1.5 turns back?

yes

Old 01-11-2008, 02:29 AM

Oh...don't over tighten anything. Just when you start from a base point...like all the way firm, and are going to turn out from
there, just two finger tighten it to the max setting. Don't grab the biggest screwdriver or metric wrench you can find and
start leaning on it.

Easy, slow, exact adjustments.

I don;t know a whole lot about suspension...no expert, but I know basically what is going on all the time and how to change it.

If anyone suggests thicker fork oil...that's for the nth degree of tuning.

That's way beyond my riding and set up experience, but you have to think,...

How much difference is there between 10 w 40 oil vs. 20 w 50 oil or fork oil in this case, squirting through some holes?

Not much.

Your spring, spring tension and air settings will make the biggest changes.